Sign in to follow this  
phuque

Portable amps required for headphones + ipod

I'm curious to try getting nice headphones for music in the office. Is it necessary to get a portable amp for better audio or even "drive" the headphones for an iPod? I'm guessing the iPod output might not be sufficient to power headphones in terms of volume.

Guest dragonboy

Not all headphones require a headphone amp as some are easily driven, if u don't intend to invest in a headphone amp, try to stick with headphones that are more sensitive. You could try the Audio Technica

ATH-A900 or grado SR-325 for open-backed headphones.

I would suggest you to try the ibasso D1.. Amp + DAC... U can use in the office and portable enough to carry around. Though its not smallest dac + amp.... its performance is definitely worth every dollar.

Try to include your budget. It'll be easier to get what you're looking for. B)

I'm thinking about $200 max for a headphone and $200 max for the amp, if it is really practical. I've read Grado's spec and the headphone impedance is 32ohm. Sounds like something that iPod could drive, compared to other higher end headphones.

Guest dragonboy

Try SR-80 at $ 160 .. :think: .... and the ibasso P2 headphone amp at $219.

I think the ibasso D2 amp + dac is coming out soon. But not too sure how much. I reckon it should be at $200 price range. The last time i heard aaron from SE saying that they should be in around Jan 2008.

The D1 was always sold out the last time it was launch. Wonder will the D2 give the same response? :dance:

Try SR-80 at $ 160 .. :think: .... and the ibasso P2 headphone amp at $219.

I think the ibasso D2 amp + dac is coming out soon. But not too sure how much. I reckon it should be at $200 price range. The last time i heard aaron from SE saying that they should be in around Jan 2008.

The D1 was always sold out the last time it was launch. Wonder will the D2 give the same response? :dance:

Thanks for the advise, I guess I'll give it a try on-site. Where is the recommended place to test and buy SR80 at $160? Stereo or Jaben?

Guest dragonboy

Stereo stocks both grado & alessandro... Most of the grados are available .. I think jaben only stocks alessandro. Stereo at causeway Point & jaben at Adelphi.

I just tried a friend's PA2V2 with my current Shure E3C. It appears that the amp is way too "powerful" for such earphones. The reason is that a good quality volume is just a bit too loud, but if I turn the volume down a bit, the sound becomes unbalanced between left and right.

Is this because the PA2V2 is cheap/low-end or will all other amp has such problems because earphones have low impedance?