Sign in to follow this  
alffy

Help with headphone choice.

Hi all, new to the forum so hope you guys can help me out. i'm looking for a nice pair of headphones, preferably esthetically pleasing and good in bass response. i'm someone who likes dance tracks and therefore prefer something that has that extra 'thud'. i've read a couple of reviews in here and still can't figure out what is good to buy. my budget is below 220 perhaps? i'm looking at the Audio Technica ATH-ES7 but the reviews on sites are luke warm. but they look great dont they? I put looks slightly ahead of performance, and i would rather pay 220 for a great looking headphone with slightly poorer bass response than a 220 with great bass response but questionable look. thanks!

Guest Cruise

Audio Technica Ono than. It seems like a fashion-statement headphones as I see more and more people using them. I have yet to try these phones and I can't comment on its sound.

Audio Technica Ono than. It seems like a fashion-statement headphones as I see more and more people using them. I have yet to try these phones and I can't comment on its sound.

thanks for the reply, anyone can feedback about the ono?

thanks for the reply, anyone can feedback about the ono?

Guest dragonboy

ONO sucks on the bass.... Could be due to the fitting. ATH-ES7 isn't too great for bass either. But ES7 gives good vocals and very mellow mid-range.

I'd recommend the AKG K-81 ( K-518 ). It gives out the extra "THUD". A perfect heaphones for people asking for heavy bass controls. Not the best-looking headphones u can find..... but u can consider. It is only slightly more than a hundred.

I got mine from Stereo Electronics, Causeway Point. You can pm him on this forum :)

Guest dragonboy

Yup... I also saw at Stereo Causeway Point. Since they always offer a no-obligation demo, I tried it... anyway no-buy-also-nevermind-one. To be very frank, very super duper bassy, fantastic for rockers or DJ

monitoring. If u like bass, you'll love this. Not really my type though, maybe got generation gap. :cry:

I think the K81DJs are terrific :)

sound quality is good, trebles are crisp and clear, bass is tight after burn-in. they provide enough isolation to allow me to enjoy my music on public transport.

The so-called 'death grip' on the head mellows as you wear it, leaving the headphones tight, but reasonably comfortable. you'll never need to worry about it accidentally falling off though ;)

give it a try lah

to dragonboy: these phones really benefit from burn-in: treble clears up and bass tightens. a fresh-from-the-box set sounds poor compared to a 2 week old burned-in set. There's also the 'curse' of the central foams. removing the foams changes the sound profile dramatically, giving crisper treble and lowering bass boomy-ness.

Edited by kehyi

Guest dragonboy

The K-81 at stereo was fully runned-in...... The main reason I don't like it was coz the bass was too over-whelming that it actually discoloured the vocals and messed up the midrange. But of course, I won't deny that it's still a good headphones at that price if u like BASS.

AKG studio k141, k240, and MS1, i have an ms1 personally and have tried the the other 2. MS1 has a pretty decent bass response for a grado/alessandro headphone compared to the rest while the other 2 being closed have great bass. In addition to that, the akgs are pretty comfortable too.