Sign in to follow this  
phuque

Portable amp recommendation for HD650

What is the recommended portable amp that is sufficient to "drive" the HD650 close to its potential SQ? So far, I've auditioned the RSA Hornet with the HD650 and I would say that I liked the clean and punchy base with sufficient separation to my liking.

I don't have any budget in mind, as long as the amp is portable, sufficient to bring out the quality of HD650 and easily available (not something that I have wait for months on a mail order). Finally, I'm going to use it to listen to mostly instrumental and jazz music.

Please share some good recommendations. I'll probably get the Hornet unless there is something good that I can audition as well.

Guest dragonboy

You shouldn't miss out the I-qube if you have no budget in mind. Simply transparent.... no other portable amp is close. :cans:

You shouldn't miss out the I-qube if you have no budget in mind. Simply transparent.... no other portable amp is close. :cans:

What is the sound like, biased towards treble or bass in anyway? I assume Stereo is the place to audition?

the HD650 is not a portable can. you are much better off investing in a proper desktop amp like the Cayin HA-1A which has good synergy with the Senn.

Guest dragonboy

the HD650 is not a portable can. you are much better off investing in a proper desktop amp like the Cayin HA-1A which has good synergy with the Senn.

Agree. Why look at portable amps when you to size don't intend to take them out especially the HD650? Due

to size, there are limitations to the performance of these portable amps, no matter what brand they are.

Stick with desk-top amps, the performance would anytime be better.

Agree. Why look at portable amps when you to size don't intend to take them out especially the HD650? Due

to size, there are limitations to the performance of these portable amps, no matter what brand they are.

Stick with desk-top amps, the performance would anytime be better.

Yes, I intend to take it out. I'm dumping it in the office for listening with the iPod. A desktop amp is not practical and overkill for the office desk so I'm looking for something that is small and will run on batteries.

I know performance is better, I've listened to it on my home amp. Regardless of that, I'm still hunting for a portable headphone amp to pair with for office listening.

My experience with the HD650 is that this is a set of phones that can scale really well with the equipment used upstream. It's definitely listenable out of an ipod + portable amp but will never achieve the potential that you mentioned. Having said that, it's most important that you're happy with it. And it seems like you quite like the Hornet driving it. Just my 2 cents.

If you are using at the office, where you probably also have a computer, look at the iBasso D1. It is ok with the Senn 650. You can also use the dac of the iBasso and connect via usb to use your computer as source. I use this with my Senn 600 sometimes in the office and it works. I sometimes also use the iBasso D1 and iMod with my 650 at home, though, as others said, at home a desk amp would give you better SQ and power. The iBasso uses a built-in rechargeable battery and the battery lasts many times longer than the Hornet. I have a Hornet also though it is now rarely used.

Yes, I intend to take it out. I'm dumping it in the office for listening with the iPod. A desktop amp is not practical and overkill for the office desk so I'm looking for something that is small and will run on batteries.

I know performance is better, I've listened to it on my home amp. Regardless of that, I'm still hunting for a portable headphone amp to pair with for office listening.

the Cayin has a narrow footprint no worries, so you can seriously consider this baby.

failing which try the RSA SR-71 which will run solely on batteries.

For portability with good performance..... still the I-Qube. :thumbup:

that's true. throw the latest Pico into the mix for even more top-end portable choices. i really can't decide which i like better. both i can live with for a long time.