Sign in to follow this  
papaya86

Anyone compared the Marantz sa7001/ki to Rega Apollo?

Stereophile rated the marantz 8001 (which is said to be the same as the 7001ki) class A and the Rega class B, but did not state whether its due to the sacd playback capability of the marantz unit. And i dont think i can get a truthful audition for the marantz player, just reading reviews here and there. I did have an experience with a marantz 63mk2ki cdp very long ago and found it utterly disgusting with it's bloated bass, colored midrange. Its just sounded like one big pool of mud. One of the reviews for the marantz 7000ki stated when run cold, it sounds like the 63mk2ki.

im not at all interested in sacds, just for redbook playback, any cdps to recommend in the similar price range as the marantz and the rega apollo? Other than these 2, im also looking at the cec51xr, but that seems like an overly polite player from what ive read.

Anyone has any experience with the above mentioned units?

Edited by papaya86

If you want to audition the marantz 7001 KI SACD player, head down to adelphi 1st floor, audio act electronics, they have good prices ( i bought the 7001ki amplifier for a good price ) .

For playing back normal audio CD's, at ~$800 you can try audiolabs 8000 , they have positive feedback

another new player at $850 ~ is usher cd-7 , at x-audio @ bukit timah :)