Sign in to follow this  
tubist

Portable Headphone equivalent to AKG K501?

Hi Guys,

I am using the AKG501(sounds great!!) now and wants something more portable. Here are my requirements:

1. Easy to keep/carry

2. Open style. Needs to hear my kids/wifey when they call out to me at home at my work room.....

2. Very comfortable to wear. (The AKG is fantastic here.)

3. Similar sound quality to AKG, meaning transparent, open soundstage. No overpowering bass. Cannot stand bass that is out of proportion with the music.

4. Budget --- quite liberal at the moment. Probably below $500, but will consider above this if it is really good.

thanks!!

Hi Guys,

I am using the AKG501(sounds great!!) now and wants something more portable. Here are my requirements:

1. Easy to keep/carry

2. Open style. Needs to hear my kids/wifey when they call out to me at home at my work room.....

2. Very comfortable to wear. (The AKG is fantastic here.)

3. Similar sound quality to AKG, meaning transparent, open soundstage. No overpowering bass. Cannot stand bass that is out of proportion with the music.

4. Budget --- quite liberal at the moment. Probably below $500, but will consider above this if it is really good.

thanks!!

Since sound and comfort is subjective, I will recommend based on point 1,2 and 4.

Grado SR-225

Audio Technica ATH-AD1000 ( 95% of the time is comfortable to users but it's around the size of your 501)

You might want to consider the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 although its a closed-back headphone.

Ultimately, its easier to go to a headphone store and try them with your personal rig or CDs.