Sign in to follow this  
Guest monstertruck

How do i connect the headphone amp to my integrated amplifier?

Guest monstertruck

Dear all,

need your kind advice over here.

i'm building my first ever DIY project, and i do not know how to go about finishing the product, because it is lacking power supply, and in/out connectors.

the in connectors should not be a problem, but the out, i would like to use RCA connectors for my NAD integrated amp. however, how do i use the amp? i mean, if i plug it into my amplifier, which source should i choose? aux, tuner, etc?

is it possible to build a non-AC adaptor power supply for the clone? such as those IEC connector to an external power cord.

Really sorry for my lack of technical knowledge... i'm a non-science student, and hence struggling with these technical know-hows.

Thanks in advance, for any advice!

Hi,

This may be a stupid question but can I ask what are intending to do with the above setup, ie attach the headamp to your integrated amp.

Guest monstertruck

Hi,

This may be a stupid question but can I ask what are intending to do with the above setup, ie attach the headamp to your integrated amp.

hi there, i intend to replace the current in-built headphone amp within the integrated amplifier, and hence trying to build an external source to connect to it.

hi there, i intend to replace the current in-built headphone amp within the integrated amplifier, and hence trying to build an external source to connect to it.

Then you need to find a signal out from your amp. This is usually the record out RCA sockets. Connect from these RCA to the Signal in socket in your headphone amp. Your audio source will continue to be connected to the integrated amp.

Guest monstertruck

Then you need to find a signal out from your amp. This is usually the record out RCA sockets. Connect from these RCA to the Signal in socket in your headphone amp. Your audio source will continue to be connected to the integrated amp.

hi heady, thanks so much for your advice!!!

i understand what you mean, but my NAD amp has only pre out (Pre Out 1 and 2) sockets. seems like for pre-amp... is this suitable? and there's two Tape In/Out, plus a pair of Main In.

please help. i know nuts about electronics.... thank you!!!

The pre out is the output from the pre-amp and is for power amps. If memory serves me right, NAD amps tend to have a pre out which is then connected to the power amp in. And they are connected with a non-flexible link.

If there are two pre out and are unused, then this where you should get the signal to feed to the headphone amp.

Take a pic of the back of your amp, if you have a digicam and we can help you better.

Guest monstertruck

The pre out is the output from the pre-amp and is for power amps. If memory serves me right, NAD amps tend to have a pre out which is then connected to the power amp in. And they are connected with a non-flexible link.

If there are two pre out and are unused, then this where you should get the signal to feed to the headphone amp.

Take a pic of the back of your amp, if you have a digicam and we can help you better.

hi heady! paiseh, i couldn't log in to my home computer to post a reply...

currently, i can't take a photo of the back to the amp, but your explanation is thoroughly correct!

i can only manage to find the online manual, which is the same as the back of my amp -

http://nadelectronics.com/img/manual/NAD-C350.pdf

currently the two pre-out outputs are connected by cables (and i used Neutrik Profi for the connectors. but it will be worthwhile to remove the cables if the headphone amp can be plugged into that output).

Thank you for your advice and timely assistance!

Hi,

The pdf is good. It shows the Pre Out2 L&R is originally connected to the Main In. This should still be there if you intend to use speakers.

Connect the headphone amp from the Pre Out1 L & R and you are in business.

Guest monstertruck

Hi,

The pdf is good. It shows the Pre Out2 L&R is originally connected to the Main In. This should still be there if you intend to use speakers.

Connect the headphone amp from the Pre Out1 L & R and you are in business.

hi heady,

sorry for the late reply as i've been busy. Really thank you so much for your advice!

now the headache is how to build a power supply (i got most of the necessary stuff except the fuse and maybe some other components), but i do not know about grounding the whole supply (since the MDF material that i'm choosing is not that dense compared to metal), and how to fix the huge and heavy transformer onto the PCB board.

but anyway, really thank you so much for your assistance! greatly appreciate it.