Klo

Ear damage from In-Ear Earphones and IEMs?

Hey guys, are there any side effects from using IEMs? I used to dislike IEMs due to some discomfort after long use. So I considered getting closed-cans for a while. But now, after wearing Sony-Ericsson In-ears for about a month, I feel comfortable using the phones for about an hour.

But I have other concerns too. Do IEMs cause more internal ear damage than closed-cans? Like permanent hearing loss or some kind of injury? I am comparing with closed-back headphones here because I know just listening to music for long periods of time can cause some kind hearing damage. And I am not comparing with open-back or earbuds as I use them outside. I usually listen to music at about mid-volume of a player so I do not turn the music too loud.

Another concern is that IEMs usually have messy cables when keeping them in a sling bag. I heard coiling cables are bad so it results in messy cables after. Any solution for this?

Just in case you are wondering, I might get a M3 with bi-flanges to upgrade my SE ones and maybe get a Creative Zen.

if you listen to them at safe volumes, they're safer than using open headphones/earphones in public.

I would assume they provide better isolation (block out outside sound better) than closed headphones generally and you would thus need to listen only at lower volumes to get the same level of audibility for your music = safer.

Hey guys, are there any side effects from using IEMs? I used to dislike IEMs due to some discomfort after long use. So I considered getting closed-cans for a while. But now, after wearing Sony-Ericsson In-ears for about a month, I feel comfortable using the phones for about an hour.

But I have other concerns too. Do IEMs cause more internal ear damage than closed-cans? Like permanent hearing loss or some kind of injury? I am comparing with closed-back headphones here because I know just listening to music for long periods of time can cause some kind hearing damage. And I am not comparing with open-back or earbuds as I use them outside. I usually listen to music at about mid-volume of a player so I do not turn the music too loud.

Another concern is that IEMs usually have messy cables when keeping them in a sling bag. I heard coiling cables are bad so it results in messy cables after. Any solution for this?

Just in case you are wondering, I might get a M3 with bi-flanges to upgrade my SE ones and maybe get a Creative Zen.

I wore in-ear canal since poly times, almost 10 years , and I just pass my hearing test (job requirement)

cables I loop 2 big rounds, put it inside a empty pocket

if you listen to them at safe volumes, they're safer than using open headphones/earphones in public.

I would assume they provide better isolation (block out outside sound better) than closed headphones generally and you would thus need to listen only at lower volumes to get the same level of audibility for your music = safer.

:thumbup:

It's the perceived volume (SPL at eardrum) that kills hearing, not distance. It doesn't matter if it is IEM in your ears or loudspeakers 100 meters away in a concert hall.