Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Looking for new portable music player...or help revive an iRiver H320

Any more suggestions from the folks here? The Cowon D2 and iAudio 7 are clear choices at this stage but I don't completely like either of them because they don't have support for multiple playlists. Could anyone point me towards other MP3 players with a true playlist feature? Now I'm really starting to miss that H320...everything I wanted from an MP3 player. I probably could buy one 2nd hand, but it might not be the smartest move.

A Rockboxed iPod 5.5G?

Thanks for the suggestion. I've heard some good and some very cold reviews towards iPods in general. Are there any particular versions that sound much better than the rest? For the most part I've seen people mention that some iPods were great on style but not so on music quality.

What about the Sony players? Anyone with experience on them? Thus far I've only thought of Sony for style.

Yeah, the thing about iPod is that to get the best out of them you're going to need to use a line-out dock and an amp (which I see you already have).

Plus if you don't want to use iTunes, you can use the open source Rockbox(www.rockbox.org). Just make sure to get the correct iPod generation. I'm not sure about the Australian Apple store but you can get some pretty good deals on refurbished iPods there.

The new Sony A8XX or A7XX series is apparently pretty good for the sound quality but I find that you tend to pay quite a bit of premium for the Sony brand.

Yeah, the thing about iPod is that to get the best out of them you're going to need to use a line-out dock and an amp (which I see you already have).

Plus if you don't want to use iTunes, you can use the open source Rockbox(www.rockbox.org). Just make sure to get the correct iPod generation. I'm not sure about the Australian Apple store but you can get some pretty good deals on refurbished iPods there.

The new Sony A8XX or A7XX series is apparently pretty good for the sound quality but I find that you tend to pay quite a bit of premium for the Sony brand.

I just gave in and bought a Sony S618. It's an older MP3 player, from what I've read, however there appears to be a positive opinion of it. It's impossible to find that 'perfect' player. The Cowon iAudio 7 that seemed really attractive turned out to have no option for multiple playlists and some even complained about the sound quality (despite the bulk of users giving it the thumbs-up).

Anyway, I hope I didn't make the wrong decision to buy the S618.

Guest Hottopic

Any more suggestions from the folks here? The Cowon D2 and iAudio 7 are clear choices at this stage but I don't completely like either of them because they don't have support for multiple playlists. Could anyone point me towards other MP3 players with a true playlist feature? Now I'm really starting to miss that H320...everything I wanted from an MP3 player. I probably could buy one 2nd hand, but it might not be the smartest move.

In term of sound quality you may also check out the Kenwood HDD MP3 player and I know they are better sound quality then the H340. I felt disappointed with the new iriver player. First, they never made HDD player again. Second, average sound quality. (Except the Clix2).

In term of sound quality you may also check out the Kenwood HDD MP3 player and I know they are better sound quality then the H340. I felt disappointed with the new iriver player. First, they never made HDD player again. Second, average sound quality. (Except the Clix2).

That's an interesting thought. Even now it still seems that some people rave about the H100 and H300 series of the iRiver players, especially the H100 ones. Makes me even more angry at myself for the mistake. There was a mention somewhere that the Cowon X5 has better sound than the iRiver H300 series, but I couldn't find it at all even on Ebay.

Now I bought myself a Sony S618. Not sure how good it really is but there were some glowing opinions on Sony players in general on a thread at Head-fi, with one member mentioning that the S618 was his favorite.

Guest Hottopic

That's an interesting thought. Even now it still seems that some people rave about the H100 and H300 series of the iRiver players, especially the H100 ones. Makes me even more angry at myself for the mistake. There was a mention somewhere that the Cowon X5 has better sound than the iRiver H300 series, but I couldn't find it at all even on Ebay.

Now I bought myself a Sony S618. Not sure how good it really is but there were some glowing opinions on Sony players in general on a thread at Head-fi, with one member mentioning that the S618 was his favorite.

Take it easy man, we all made mistakes in our life...I think the Sony is not bad in term of sound quality.

Trust me, the kenwood HDD player will be your final hope. :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Kenwood-60GB-HDD-D...p3286.m20.l1116

If you are lucky enough, you can get it at a better price. I paid US$400 for the 30GB model a while ago.

Take it easy man, we all made mistakes in our life...I think the Sony is not bad in term of sound quality.

Trust me, the kenwood HDD player will be your final hope. :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Kenwood-60GB-HDD-D...p3286.m20.l1116

If you are lucky enough, you can get it at a better price. I paid US$400 for the 30GB model a while ago.

Hmm...the price is perhaps the only put-off. I haven't heard much about Kenwood devices at all, although I've seen plenty of their speaker systems. Price will drop with time, I'm sure. Bearing in mind that I might burn up this new MP3 player in a similar manner, I think the Kenwood will be in the pipeline! :yes:

Guest Hottopic

Hmm...the price is perhaps the only put-off. I haven't heard much about Kenwood devices at all, although I've seen plenty of their speaker systems. Price will drop with time, I'm sure. Bearing in mind that I might burn up this new MP3 player in a similar manner, I think the Kenwood will be in the pipeline! :yes:

Feel a little disapponted because iriver no longer making expensive player.

I want to buy the iriver lplayer.

http://www.warehouse123.com/ProductInfo.ph...RILPLAYER8G-BLK

It may not be as good as clix2 but it's cheaper but it still looks promising.

Also find the clix2 selling at very low price, check this out

https://www.warehouse123.com/ProductInfo.ph...id=IRIU202G-WHT

Edited by Hottopic

Feel a little disapponted because iriver no longer making expensive player.

I want to buy the iriver lplayer.

http://www.warehouse123.com/ProductInfo.ph...RILPLAYER8G-BLK

It may not be as good as clix2 but it's cheaper but it still looks promising.

It's unfortunate to hear that. I've been out of the MP3 world ever since getting the H320, but as you can see, the death of the device caused me to start searching again. Actually, I dislike shopping for gadgets like these because the choices are numerous and there's supporters of each brand and model. Some may say the sound is great, while others may say it doesn't sound as good as [insert some other brand or model number here].

That's where the confusion starts. I just got word that my Sony MP3 player has shipped today, and I should have it in a week or so. Hope it turns out to be a good one. What an expensive mistake this has turned out to be.

Guest Hottopic

It's unfortunate to hear that. I've been out of the MP3 world ever since getting the H320, but as you can see, the death of the device caused me to start searching again. Actually, I dislike shopping for gadgets like these because the choices are numerous and there's supporters of each brand and model. Some may say the sound is great, while others may say it doesn't sound as good as [insert some other brand or model number here].

That's where the confusion starts. I just got word that my Sony MP3 player has shipped today, and I should have it in a week or so. Hope it turns out to be a good one. What an expensive mistake this has turned out to be.

You received your new Sony player? How does it sound?

My H340 needed to change the battery. I also had a hard time deciding on the Iaudio 7 & D2. At last, I ordered a 16GB I7 due to I don't need video. Still waiting for it's arrival.

Now, I am searching for IEM ( ACS T1 or UE 11 Pro ). That's will stop me from upgrading.

:call:

Guest Hottopic

My H340 needed to change the battery. I also had a hard time deciding on the Iaudio 7 & D2. At last, I ordered a 16GB I7 due to I don't need video. Still waiting for it's arrival.

Now, I am searching for IEM ( ACS T1 or UE 11 Pro ). That's will stop me from upgrading.

Try ebay, they got replacement batteries for H340 (aftermarket one)

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?f...tery&category0=

Worcell.com sells the 2200mAh battery for the H3xx, and it's based locally. It's a slightly tight fit, but it fits.

Edited by radioactive28