Sign in to follow this  
Guest dragonboy

Koss Electrostatic headphones!

Guest dragonboy

Electrostatic headphones is something new to me since all my headphones are dynamic. But I've heard alot about them especially STAX. I'm quite sure my wifey is not going to part $5k for my christmas present, so auditioning the koss at stereo was an alternative.

As usual the guys allow an no-obligation demo, could also because they are trying to poison me. :no:

Comfort-fit was fantastic, super light, no death grip. It's the type that you can put on and listen for hours without feeling fatigue. It seem to be more comfortable than the audio-technica, and you don't even need to worry about amplification since it comes with a koss amplifier all in one price.

I like travelling with my audio rig especially when posted to remote boring countries for months. The carry case that comes together + battery packs comes very useful for traveling.

For those AKG 701 user, should try this. Soundstage was impressively wide and layered. It sounds very open and superbly spacious. Closed your eyes.... you might really forget you're listening to a headphone.

Though some people commented that electrostatic headphone are lack of bass. IMO, the bass was sufficient, not overdo, double bass was clean, clear & tight. Vocals was something that I would be able to listen without feeling a need to take off my headphones. For those who had always been using dynamic headphones, I think you should try this out.

Since the amplifier is supplied, it made the damage lesser. All in less than $1.5k :thumbup:

I could just pick up a small black leather bag, dismantle the headphones and travel.

Oh dear.... I think i'm POISONED! :rclxub:

Edited by dragonboy

Guest dragonboy

Gotta wait for christmas. :holiday: .. provided my wife catch the hint. I need to bring her to stereo & let her see that i'm always trying the koss. She should catch the hint.. :prettyprincess:

Edited by dragonboy

haha, that's great.

but to me, i somehow agree with you that the soundstge of this koss is kind of greater and bigger as compare with the AKG 701.

too bad, did not try on a vocal track.

ya, a combo set of Electrostatic headphone + amp for this price tag indeed is a very good deal :P

Guest dragonboy

Wow 5K for a pair of headphones?! It sure sounds good :D

Bro.... not so expensive. The Koss combo cost less than $1.5k :grin: .

Ready to get them for Christmas?? :holiday:

Omg that's super tempting. That may be even cheaper than getting K701 + a good amp. As a K701 lover myself... :drool:

Can someone post the model number of this? I wanna do some reading on this. Looks like a trip to stereo is in order :dance:

Have you tried the electrostatics with a balanced source and amp?

Electrostatic systems are 'natively' balanced, so it would be interesting to run this kind of test.

The fact that Stax tends not to use standardised connectors, slows down the other manufacturers with producing an alternative balanced amp for those beasts.

..: :..

Have you tried the electrostatics with a balanced source and amp?

Electrostatic systems are 'natively' balanced, so it would be interesting to run this kind of test.

The fact that Stax tends not to use standardised connectors, slows down the other manufacturers with producing an alternative balanced amp for those beasts.

..: :..

I don't really think its the connectors that slows the manufacturers, after all, a standard converter is all that is needed. I think the main issue is the small market for electrostatics. :think:

PMed you.

Very often, those that choose the ESP950 upgrade to a Stax amp like the SRM T1(S) and reterminate (or recable). Supposedly it brings them to a whole new level. But with that amount of money spent, I'd rather get a used SR-Lambda Pro system or something similar. Also, another problem arises with the retermination and upgrading of the amp, what in the world do you do with the old one? -_-

Guest dragonboy

Very often, those that choose the ESP950 upgrade to a Stax amp like the SRM T1(S) and reterminate (or recable). Supposedly it brings them to a whole new level. But with that amount of money spent, I'd rather get a used SR-Lambda Pro system or something similar. Also, another problem arises with the retermination and upgrading of the amp, what in the world do you do with the old one? -_-

For those not intending to go more than $5k for what uberburger101 is describing...... the koss is sufficient to satisfy most hunting for a decent sounding headphone + amp at $1k++.....

Edited by dragonboy