Sign in to follow this  
viscy

Interest check: Stepped attenuators

Hi guys, i'm interested in starting a bulk to buy stepped attenuators from a taiwan website called my3c.net .

anyone interested? it comes with a ladder-type 24pole switch and a set of dale milspec 1% resistors that you have to solder yourself. Comes with an aluminium knob.

Comes in 10k/100k/250k flavours, priced at TWD690 each.

After conversion it'll come to about SGD35.

Shipping is TWD1000 (Around 55 bucks, conservative estimate) which will be shared out among all buyers.

It also comes with a balanced version at twice the price. The completed attenuator is also (in 10k and 250k flavours only) at TWD1680, around SGD85.

The kits are bloody cheap though. I need someone to verify this as I can't read chinese that well. You can find it at my3c.net under DIY ZONE.

Anyone else interested?

There's more info here on how to build the thing:

http://diyparadise.com/web/index.php?optio...id=66&Itemid=26

In case some of you are wondering, a stepped attenuator is a top notch volume control unit. In a normal potentiometer, the audio signal passes through the thin carbon track, even in some high end pots like ALPS blue velvet, so this may degrade the audio performance. In the stepped attenuator, the audio signal only goes through 1 resistor, thus maintaining as much sound quality as possible.