Sign in to follow this  
Duck-in-the-Box

AMB Mini³ or RSA Predator or Xin Reference

anyone tried these 3?

heard that Mini³ sounds better than Predator to some people.

i need some advices from people here on which amp to get in the end. hope to end my path of portable rig after this. lol

Thanks.

It would depend on a few factors. Firstly, your personal preferences. From the sound signature, to the design (Mini^3 is a DIY job hence the casing can vary quite abit. Predator has a nice, slick case whilst Reference looks like it's being cased just for the protection.) Also Predator has the additional features of USB DAC and also a gain switch. Then there's battery issues too, 9V for Mini^3, and built in rechargeable for predator. The list can go on but essentially, these are issues that you would need to address too.

Next, there's your budget because the 3 amps you listed are priced rather far apart. Mini^3 at sub $200, Reference at around the $500 mark and predator at $800.

Also, do note the waiting time needed for the respective amps. Predator can be bought locally from Jaben straightaway if there's stock. If not there's a waiting time too of maybe 3 weeks or so? Mini^3 being a DIY amp will depend on how fast the DIYer gets it done. Reference with the legendary waiting time means you gotta be prepared to go ampless or use an interim amp like say the mini^3 till it comes. The waiting has been known to take up to a year.

For myself, I've only tried the mini^3 and predator. Used the mini^3 with my er4s and imod for portable previously and I found the sound to be good with a fantastic price to performance ratio.

At the end of the day, it would be best to audition them yourself and based on the parameters that you've set with regards to your portable amp, you would be better equipped to make a decision. Cheers!

Edited by nofing

Not too sure about RSA sound signature. Gotta check with the rest but most importantly go with your ears.

Guest dragonboy

Not too sure about RSA sound signature. Gotta check with the rest but most importantly go with your ears.

Yup... Check with your ears. But I'll suggest another amp to your list. Those that u mentioned but prefer the Iqube instead for it's neutrality & balanced signature. Go try all and choose wisely. :cans:

then do not go for it,as simple as that...go for other thing,and do not limit yourself to these 3 amp also,try out as many amp and get the best to your liking.

Since your price range is so large to consider the Predator, you can easily try most of the best of the amps out there. I've tried my fair share, and I can safely say that everytime I go back to my iQube I feel it was worth it. Just make sure you have this feeling when you eventually get your amp.

Another thing to note, thought most good amps are priced accordingly never overlook cheaper ones such as the iBasso range or even DIY.

Best of luck.

i do know there is many different model of mini3 too,you might want to find out and go for a try to see which one you like more

amb mini3 high performance IMO has a wide soundstage, detailed, and a little dry, however can be modded to give a slightly warmer sound. i have not seriously auditioned the rest so i shan't say anything about them. But i am using a modded mini3 myself and i'd say its really, really worth the money.

Guest jacj6049

my is time extended ic(default ic),when i jus started to use,it's jus sound no good wit my sr60,but after some run in,it's jus gettin better n better,it's a really a good budget amp!hi dennis,how ya mod ya mini3?can teach me how to mod?

Guest jacj6049

hmmm.....i heard tat b4,beside tat,still got any mod to improve SQ?such as clarity,bass......etc....

well,change the other parts also,there is one ultimate version which is make and sold off already...they change the caps and all,so totally different sound from normal one.