Sign in to follow this  
Chewbaka

Upgrading my rig...

Hi all,

I've recently decided to upgrade my rig (after being poisoned on the internet), but I am lost as to what I should get... I have about $600-$700 to spare.

Currently, I'm using a DT880 paired with a Crossroads Edge which i got as a bundle from Jaben some time ago. My source is normally from my laptop through its crappy soundcard. My music tastes is mostly Heavy Metal, Classical, Jazz, Vocals and Rock, as well as some Funk and Bossa Nova.

As for portables, I'm just using a px100 with a 6G ipod.

I'm considering whether to upgrade my portable or home rig first. I've thought of getting either an SE530 or Westone 3s to pair with my ipod, but after reading up on the internet, I've realised that this might not be the best long term solution since portable earphones normally dont seem to be durable, which kind of makes me not want to spend so much on them.

Hence I was thinking maybe I should upgrade my home rig instead. Due to my musical tastes, I've thought of getting a D2000 to suit my heavy metal needs (which to be honest, cannot be satisfied by my DT880), but I know as well that i should upgrade my amp and get a DAC as well.

Therefore, I need some advice regarding my current problem xD Should I upgrade my portable or home rig? If I should upgrade my home rig, what do you guys think I should get?

If you listen more at home, then improving your home rig is the way to go. If not, portable upgrades would be wiser, of course with less price/performance ratio.

One thing is for sure, you need to find the cans that you like the most. Then you can build your rig around there, that's how I normally see it (and what I did). Headphones do most of the colouration after all.

After that, go for a source over the amp if your cans are easy to drive. If your cans are hard to drive... you have to spend money on both sides. Source is important, if you amp rubbish you just get louder rubbish.

An alternative could be a DAC+amp combo, like the Zero or Compass.

good advices given by uber i would say,if you listen to more home setup most of the time,i will use the $700 to get either an amp or source,i believe that you like the beyer that you currently have ?then you do not need to change the headphone,but the better source will also mean that you might need to get CDs and CDP which might cost more $$$ in the long run,BUT BUT BUT!the sound is the best quality as it is CD instead of ripping them into the comp and transfer into the ipod or something.correct me if i am wrong as i am going into home setup too,slowly...collecting more and more CD now..haha...anw bro..if your beyer is the 600 ohms one,you do need to spend some $$$ on the amp to be able to drive it well..

Thanks for the input!

I won't totally say I'm happy with the Beyers per se, as I'm not too happy listening to my heavy metal collection on it, which is about 50% of what I listen. Having said that, I especially like them with female vocals and acoustic guitar work, as well as jazz, so I pretty much won't be selling them. I don't have much problems driving them (I think), since i'm using the 250ohm version.

In fact, my main trigger to improve my setup now is to actually enjoy my metal collection. So i suppose this would mean getting a new pair of headphones, preferably a denon? Or would getting a DAC help me in this aspect as well?

Edited by Chewbaka

Thanks for the input!

I won't totally say I'm happy with the Beyers per se, as I'm not too happy listening to my heavy metal collection on it, which is about 50% of what I listen. Having said that, I especially like them with female vocals and acoustic guitar work, as well as jazz, so I pretty much won't be selling them. I don't have much problems driving them (I think), since i'm using the 250ohm version.

In fact, my main trigger to improve my setup now is to actually enjoy my metal collection. So i suppose this would mean getting a new pair of headphones, preferably a denon? Or would getting a DAC help me in this aspect as well?

You must have a realistic expectation of what upgrading your source or amp will do. Changing your source will not make a beyer sound like a denon. You definitely will get much cleaner tone and clarity, as well as increased dynamics and detail.

To put it shortly, you must know what you want. If you are contented with your beyers for your vocals, etc, and just want to have something to rock your metal, then forget about your source and what not and just get a can that suits your metal tastes and that can be driving properly by what you have now. If you want to have better general sound, then consider getting a better source/amp (just get a cheap CDP and throw away the edge. Nothing against the edge, but i think someone's claims that it can drive the DT880 600ohms is stretching the meaning of "drive" a little too much.). In short, know what you want. Saves you a ton of money.

Edited by peanutbutterjam

I guess this means I'll get a new can then... I'm actually considering dropping the bomb on a pair of D7000s, but I've read on forums that some people are getting them at around 600USD, whereas prices in singapore seem to be aorund the 1.4k region.... does anyone know if i can get them cheaper in singapore?

I guess this means I'll get a new can then... I'm actually considering dropping the bomb on a pair of D7000s, but I've read on forums that some people are getting them at around 600USD, whereas prices in singapore seem to be aorund the 1.4k region.... does anyone know if i can get them cheaper in singapore?

Dunno about the price, but they are very nice! If i were to get a dynamic can this would prolly be it :grin:

No doubt the D7000 are excellent cans but I think your priorities might be a little mixed up. Getting another can at the expense of sacrificing everything else in your rig doesn't seem very sensible to me.

Headphones, unlike IEMs, need to be driven properly to be shown their potential. By succumbing to the temptation of a high-end can you could very well be putting yourself in a more difficult spot. That higher end can might require higher end amplification etc.

I'd rather split my finances up to let's say D5000+EF1 rather than D7000 at one shot.

Just using a poor example to illustrate, but hopefully you see my point.

Hi, hope to seek some advice here. I am now using ATH-AD700 and I actually decided on this after trying it out comparing Grado SR-60 and MS-1 at Stereo. WIth the Grado, I preferred the sound of MS-1 as I found it less forward and more balance than the SR-60. Then I was recommended to consider AD-700 and I liked it immediately as I found it has a more balance sound and better dynamic range. In the end I paid more than what I had planned for (the Grado) and went for the AD-700.

Not that I have the itch to upgrade now (I only bought the AD-700 few months ago), but just wonder, if I want to have better performance, how much more I should plan to spend in order to get reasonable upgrade in sound? Considering that I like the sound character of AD-700, and I listen mostly to classical music, using Marantz CD6002 as source and Cayin HA-1A to drive.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

there is no limitation to upgrade your system sound.

depend what kind of money you want to spend.

by not changing any component, what u shall try are tweaks :grin:

start from your tubes rolling, changing of interconnect, powercords etc...

there are so many to play with.... :))

see here,

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=9874

just my 0.20 cents

Hi, hope to seek some advice here. I am now using ATH-AD700 and I actually decided on this after trying it out comparing Grado SR-60 and MS-1 at Stereo. WIth the Grado, I preferred the sound of MS-1 as I found it less forward and more balance than the SR-60. Then I was recommended to consider AD-700 and I liked it immediately as I found it has a more balance sound and better dynamic range. In the end I paid more than what I had planned for (the Grado) and went for the AD-700.

Not that I have the itch to upgrade now (I only bought the AD-700 few months ago), but just wonder, if I want to have better performance, how much more I should plan to spend in order to get reasonable upgrade in sound? Considering that I like the sound character of AD-700, and I listen mostly to classical music, using Marantz CD6002 as source and Cayin HA-1A to drive.

You're definitely itch to ask this kind of question. :bash: Your mind is playing trick now. We always ask ourselves question like "what if........." or " I wonder if........" and end up upgrading. :grin:

Edited by ical

there is no limitation to upgrade your system sound.

depend what kind of money you want to spend.

by not changing any component, what u shall try are tweaks :grin:

start from your tubes rolling, changing of interconnect, powercords etc...

there are so many to play with.... :))

see here,

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=9874

just my 0.20 cents

Hahaha...well ok I would say not itchy enough to have any urge to upgrade. Reason is I guess, I have not, or have been able to so far, to control myself not to try on and compare any supposedly better headphones (poison). I am so far quite happy with my AD700, and then it occured to me say if I spend on something more ex (e.g. AD900), how much more could I get? And I am of course very conscious of getting poisoned. So without actually listening and get poisoned, at this stage I am trying to hear some input from more experienced bros here. Hope you understand what I mean (sorry I may not be able to express well).

Hi bro, thanks for the suggestions. I am actually considering a comparison of headphones as an equipment, say at what price point do we get the optimal marginal return on each marginal cost we spend.

It's a blessing to stay ignorance. Once you audition that's it. And stay away from forum too. :grin: