dnnaudio

DT990: 32, 250 or 600ohm which one?

Hello forum. My 1st post. After a bit of research here and headfi i've decided to get a DT990 2006 edition as my first serious headphone. Initially I will just use this with a portable MP3, but eventually I plan to get a decent amp and source.

Question - Between ordering the 32, 250 and 600ohm versions, which one should I go for if my objective is to be able to enjoy this with an unamped MP3 player for casual listening while at the same time achieve greatest sonics when serious listening using a good amp and source? My current phone is a PX100 and I rarely listen loud, mostly soft listening sessions.

I emailed a similar question to Beyer 2 days ago but received no response.

Dt990 is a pair of open cans and its quite big. i dont recommend it for portable usage. But if you really want it for portable usage, i would suggest you get the 32 ohm version as you would want to enjoy it unamped for casual listening

Portable use is not important to me. Casual listening would probably be at the front porch, while reading a good book. Serious listening would be in a comfortable living room couch, doing nothing but listening to music.

I am leaning towards the 250ohm version since that seem to be the safe choice as the reviews so far I pressume used this standard version. Once I get these phones and if I end up liking its character I plan to get some serious amp and source for it. That's why I don't want to get the 32ohm version if it means sacrificing ultimate performance when fed with a good amp.

Got a response from Beyer just now:

"I do not have too much time, but sufficient for a little explanation about impedance. For sure this is not a marketing trick and can be verified by simple physical measurements. Here again for different purposes people prefer diverse impedances. Basically differences in impedance are a result of variation in diameters of copper wire used for the moving coil - the core of the headphone system. Less diameter without having a longer wire ends up in higher impedances and less weight for the system of diaphragm and moving coil, what generates a lower damping factor especially for the highs. So fidelity of impulse and phase are the best with the 600 Ohm version. The other side is, that with an increasing impedance you need a stronger amplifier providing more power for the headphones. A little example: you want to use your headphones with your iPod - the best way in this situation is to choose the 32 Ohm model as it appears "louder" with the built in headphone amp inside the device. But please do not believe in every story on the internet give you by the hifi "experts" - physics cannot be changed at all. The problem within your plan is, that you want to use the headphones for both purposes - portable and highend hardwired. So the only advice I can give to you (I estimate you`re not willing to buy two pairs of them...) is to buy the 32 Ohm version and use them with a low amping at home."

They seem to suggest the 32ohm.

it is because you suggested using an unamped mp3 player source, the logical choice would be the 32 ohm version. if you chose the 250ohm and 600ohm versions, you need an amp to bring out the great sound these cans are made for and without an amp, the mp3 player would not be sufficient to drive the cans.

So if you have an amp, go ahead and take the 250ohm version

dnnaudio: I reckon you need to think it over and decide when would your home system be set up and if you are gonna spend more time using the cans with your mp3 player or the home system in the future.

Moreover, if there's a time lapse of months before a home system is purchased, I suggest you either defer purchase of DT990 and select 250ohms impedance once the system is up or choose a 32ohms now. It doesn't really result in day/night of difference listening to a 32ohms and 250ohms DT990 amplified albeit I tend to favour the latter impedance. Without amplification, 32ohm is the obvious choice. I've tried driving a pair of 250ohms DT770 pro through ipod shuffle and it's really feeble sounding.

Thanks Mackie, that's the info I was hoping to get. When you say it's feeble sounding do you mean the 250ohm Beyer can't be enjoyed at all used straight from the ipod (or similar mp3 players). Sort of the supplied stock earbuds would sound even better? I only listen at low volumes up to moderate so I really don't need it to go loud.

At the same time I plan to get the most of the DT990 by researching and buying the top recommended amp for this and hopefully achieve excellent fidelity - to be used for serious listening. So i'll be using it perhaps 50% of the time unamped for casual listening, and the other half amped with serious gear for serious listening.

The obvious solution is probably to get both 32ohm and the 600ohm but i'm hoping the 250ohm is an acceptable middleground.

When you say it's feeble sounding do you mean the 250ohm Beyer can't be enjoyed at all used straight from the ipod (or similar mp3 players).

Affirmative. For instance, DT770 gives lotsa of kick to bass heavy music like hip-hop etc but when driven straight from an ipod shuffle, bass sounded thud instead of boom. In addition, I gotta turn the volume way up to get average loudness but the music came across as really strained. I don't think you will hear 50% of the can's potential if its impedance is 250ohms. However, this findings may defer with other mp3 players as I don't own any other aside from ipod shuffle.

If you were to get 2 pieces of DT990 of different inpedance, I would rather choose DT990 (250/600 ohms) for your home system and perhaps DT880 (32 ohm) or any other makes U fancy for the mp3 source. Don't forget you could end up listening to mp3s outdoors and if so, U will need a closed or semi-closed cans. However, if you are really certain one can is enough for you, I still suggest you pick DT990 at 32ohms.

Edited by Mackie