Sign in to follow this  
HotChocolate

CD Player

Hi!

I am new here and this is my first post.

I have recently acquired a great pair of headphones (HD650) and would like to get

a cd player. Have a number of SACD so I would like the cd player to be able to play SACD.

Due to the lack of space for speakers, I would probably be listening to the music via my headphones.

Could I have some recommendations of cd players and where can I go and buy them?

Thanks a lot!

Welcome to sgheadphones! Budget? Choice for SACD player is very limited and costly unless you don't mind universal player.

Edited by ical

Welcome to sgheadphones! Budget? Choice for SACD player is very limited and costly unless you don't mind universal player.

Not sure how costly the SACD players are but I hope that it will not cost more than 2k.

Is this a realistic budget?

may I know what is the difference between a universal player and a SACD player?

Pardon me if my questions sound stupid cuz I am just taking my first baby steps into this area.

Cheers!

Your budget is little limited as most standalone SACD/CD player is not cheap, you can look at the following: Sony SCD XA5400ES, Marantz SA8003 and Pioneer PD-D6. Personally, I prefer the Sony which also happen to be the highest price of all. All are available for audition at Adelphi or Sim Lim Square.

The difference between universal and SACD player is universal can play DVD and DVD Audio as well. But there's usually a compromise in sound quality due to the universal transport which are mostly pc drive unless you're talking are those high-end version.

I don't fancy SACD player for headphone use as it doesn't take advantage of the 5.1 surround sound which is the key feature of SACD. A good redbook cdp can still beat it anytime in the right setup.