Sign in to follow this  
Zincfusion

Recommendations for circumaural headphones under SGD200

Hi all,

I know similar questions have been asked in the old threads, I've read them all but am looking for something more specific. My requirements are as follows:

1) Cicumaural design

2) Under SGD200

3) Decent noise isolation, able to enjoy my music on trains/bus

4) Portable, preferably foldable like the ATH-M50 or able to fold flat

5) Able to drive using Ipod touch and PSP

6) I listen to 40% rock, 40% pop and 20% soundtrack/instrumental/others

7) Occasionally will use it to watch movies at night

8) No intention to get amplifier

Am finding my current pair of sennheiser PMX100 leaking in too much ambient noise thus often finding myself cranking up the volume to "outshout" the noise.

I've also tried a pair of creative in ear buds (EP-830) lately but found them rather uncomfortable, feel like wearing earplugs! lol

Having looked at the threads, the Denon AH-D1001 seems pretty matching to my needs except I wonder if it's portable and rugged enough to be stowed in my sling bag/backpack for daily commute? I've also looked at the audio-technica series but they seemed rather bulky and most reviews I've seen are on their open air AD series, I wonder how do their closed type fair?

Perhaps users of the above headphones can shed some light on these questions and offer some recommendations, many thanks in advance!

What's wrong with ATH-M50? It's great value, if you shop around, you can get it quite cheap, well below S$200.

I haven't looked at the M50 much cause the denon seems highly recommended at this price point, it also got excellent ratings for comfort which is a huge plus point for me. But still, I will take it into consideration on my visit to Stereo.

m50 is huge, its not really portable.

Have one at home, and i use it only at home.

The ATH M50 are not small but huge is too strong a word for them. But then, are there any small "circumaural" phones? Circumaural means around the ears and not on the ears, like the ESW9, which are smaller.

Just a thought.

Edited by heady

Hmm the Denon looks rugged enough for everyday travelling usage, although i've never really tried them. However, do take a look at the Shure ones. I tried the 240, the soundstage was pretty good for a closed headphone, its very comfortable and certainly isolates noise pretty nicely. So for your budget, you could go for the 440, imagine the kind of improvement over the already very nicely built 240. =D

However, 1 bad thing about Shure is that it cannot be folded, so their large. But it really depends on how u wanna compare em with the Denon's. Portability-wise, denon wins. Sonic-capability wise, i wouldn't know, never tried Denon :P

Guest jacj6049

but if ya got m50 moded,sound stage is very nice,srh440 sound quite balance to me,i owned a m50 moded,am goin to get 440 soon from stereo,now goin to marry soon,got to use money wisely

I feel the SRH440 is much better if you're using it for portable usage cept for the bulky cable.

They're more for casual listening, not too laid back not too in your face.

They're comfortable but 840 feel so much better.

Auditioned out of my Fuze, 440 needs no amping, 840 is very hard to drive if you're listening to high impact music - hip hop/rock etc.

But of course extra power is always welcomed if you're genre is these.

Even a Fiio E5 can't drive the 840s easily, unless you're almost to the max if not everything feels very sluggish and you'd feel there is alot of details missing.

Soundstage was what amazed me, it made me feel like i'm in a concert hall sitting in the middle row compared to ATH M50 which is like front row infront of the speakers.

If you like more neutral sounding yet with ample bass and good resolution the 440 is great buy.

So far this is one of the likely candidate to replace my SF5p for portable usage - even auditioning all the high end universal IEMs, cept maybe SE530.

YMMV

Edited by weibchen