Digitalis

Suggestions:

Hi,

I need some advice/ideas from you guys.

I am currently shortlisting some IEMs to be purchased by the end of the year. The maximum budget for the phones is SGD820. (WOW that's quite a lot! :sweat: )

I really like bass and listen to LOADS of rock music and for me, the guitars are the most important (esp. the guitar riffs) but I also want to hear the drums and bass guitars (read: headbanging quality). Not so much a fan of vocals so I might want a more musical IEM. I would really want the sound to be bassy, crisp, clear and most importantly IMPACTFUL! (read: brain/ear orgasm :P )

I have been doing tonnes of research and all that did was make me more confused and spoilt for choice. :rclxub:

So I think the best way of judging/deciding on an IEM is to get feedback from users since I don't think I will get the chance to audition all my listed IEMs until December when I come down to Singapore.

Bear in mind that the "only" genre I listen to is ROCK be it heavy metal, trash metal, nu-metal, punk rock, alternative rock, post-grunge, progressive rock or avant-garde metal.

So far, I have decided to either go with either high-end universals or low-end customs. Here are my options:

1) Westone 3

2) Sennheiser IE8

3) UE Triple.Fi 10 Pro

4) JH-5 Pro

5) UE 4 Pro

6) Alien Ears C-3

7) Livewires Duals or Triples

8) Sleek Audio CT-6

For my budget, I should be able to get any one of these IEMs but as usual, I want the most suitable IEM for my musical preference.

Therefore, any of you guys own them? If you do, please let me know how it sounds with respect to my musical preference. I would really appreciate your help. I will definitely come down to Singapore to audition the universals and the demo versions of the customs in December. Also, I am open to suggestions if I've missed out any other good alternatives.

Thanks and Cheers!

p/s: I am currently using some crappy Razer Moray IEMs because I was stupid enough to believe CNET and some jacko at Machines!

Source: iPod Touch 3G

Amp: Fiio E5

IEM: Razer Moray :yuck:

I am not sure but if i'm you. I will take the IE8 cause its bassiest among the rest here with its bass knob turn to the max. And if you're uncomfortable you can still tune it down. And best of all it sounds good even from headphone out.

I am not sure but if i'm you. I will take the IE8 cause its bassiest among the rest here with its bass knob turn to the max. And if you're uncomfortable you can still tune it down. And best of all it sounds good even from headphone out.

Even compared to the customs I've listed down? Whoa! :o

Why don't you have Shures on your list? I listen to a lot of rock (from soft to death metal) and my E500s are the best when it comes to percussion and guitars. For SGD 820 it won't be hard to find a pair.

between the TF10 and IE8, i find IE8 has a darker sound signature compared to TF10. TF10's sound is also more forward. Highs are sparkling, but not harsh...

IE8 may have tons of bass, but i prefer the punchiness of the TF10's bass and the neutrality of the sound.

SE530...i find the bass wins in quantity, but not quality, as compared to the TF10, but my intepretation of quality may not be the same for eveyone :sweat:

as far as opinions go, nothing beats listening to the real deal, hope you spend some time auditioning them out....

:)

seal is very impt - I would go with customs in general. Also, you can listen at lower volumes and save your hearing.

I read that customs usually require refits so since I'm from Malaysia, I would definitely have to come down to audition/order them, come back to get them and test them and if they don't fit, I would have to resend them back rite?

Why don't you have Shures on your list? I listen to a lot of rock (from soft to death metal) and my E500s are the best when it comes to percussion and guitars. For SGD 820 it won't be hard to find a pair.

I initially added them but then some people said it lacks bass, some said it's ok, some said it's good. So just to avoid that again, I decided to remove them la, but don't worry, I'll audition them too when I come down. :cans:

between the TF10 and IE8, i find IE8 has a darker sound signature compared to TF10. TF10's sound is also more forward. Highs are sparkling, but not harsh...

IE8 may have tons of bass, but i prefer the punchiness of the TF10's bass and the neutrality of the sound.

SE530...i find the bass wins in quantity, but not quality, as compared to the TF10, but my intepretation of quality may not be the same for eveyone

as far as opinions go, nothing beats listening to the real deal, hope you spend some time auditioning them out....

I will definitely audition them. This thread is mainly for discussion so I can research what I missed out (if any). I like your impressions on the TF10. However, I want to know how badly it sticks out from your ear? For a universal IEM, I must say they look really really good apart from the sticking out part! :lust:

@TS

Have you tried the popular highest end universal iems, like the

westone um3x

shure se530

sennheiser ie8

Ultimate Ears TF10 pro

and since you listed SA CT6, I recommend you to try their universal

Sleek Audio SA6

which one do you prefer MOST

so that we can have a rough guage of your sound signature preference.

What sounds bassy to one might not necessarily be the same for the other..

Anyway, for your case, I suggest you to skip the amp part entirely.

Sell away your fiio e5 for some additional funds.

Currently you are just using ipod touch with the fiio e5.

so you won't feel much of the hassle.

but as you think about upgrade the amps and lod, seriously, for a guy with tight budget, thats not the way to go.

For Sleek Audio(SA), its a special case. You need to try out their universal SA6. Find out which treble tips(minus, neutral, plus, plus plus) and which bass ports(minus, neutral, plus) you prefer, then they create the ct6 based on the trebles and bass setting that you chose for your SA6. I chose SA6 out of all the universal iems out there thou.

So, my suggestion would be to try out all the universal iems, find out which sound signature you prefer, then go for this setup.

iPod Touch 3g -> Customs iem.

iPod Touch 3g, with similar or slightly better audio quality as compared to the iPhone 3gs(due to the internal phone components), sounds really great headphone out to customs.

Of course, I would pick the Sleek Audio CT6 out of the list there, as they, even thou consist of 1 BA driver only, was reported to be able to rival those 3 drivers iems(similar to the SA6).(1 BA driver, hence cheaper cost)

Since you will be using them for portable, you can use them with their wireless kit or with iphone cables(should be able to handle ipod touch too). 3 options of wires to choose from, changable at anytime of course.

The wireless Customs(free Sleek audio related artwork) set is SGD632 excluding ear impression and shipping.

But yeah, waiting for them to release their CT9 customs before i hoot.

BTW, SA doesn't use BLUETOOTH for wireless transmission. They use Kleer wireless audio.

They claim it be able to transfer CD audio quality, and many who tried wireless against wired agreed with them.

Although I can hear a subtle difference when comparing.

btw, their wireless kit helps to increase bass quantity.

Sorry for the long post, hope it will be helpful to the OP.

BTW, top up abit more and you can have the option for them to be glow in the dark :)

EDIT:

Some image for you to drool

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by :: Chicky ::

Why would customs need to refit ? << I know if the mould not done with, of course not good.

Before you go and create your ear impression, go look for a poly clinic to clean your ear of those ear wax thoroughly first.

Straight after that, go and create ear impression.

If that audiologist is decent, the impression should be 100% since your ears are thoroughly clean.

Then when you sent to them, put them in some hard case that can't be squash.

Hence, there would be virtually no chance of the need to refit..

unless the iem companies themselves screwed up la.

Btw, Sleek Audio iems are rare in Singapore, even their retail shop don't sell them anymore.

If you are coming down after 4th december, I wouldn't mind lending you my SA6 to try.

@TS

Have you tried the popular highest end universal iems, like the

westone um3x

shure se530

sennheiser ie8

Ultimate Ears TF10 pro

and since you listed SA CT6, I recommend you to try their universal

Sleek Audio SA6

which one do you prefer MOST

so that we can have a rough guage of your sound signature preference.

What sounds bassy to one might not necessarily be the same for the other..

Anyway, for your case, I suggest you to skip the amp part entirely.

Sell away your fiio e5 for some additional funds.

Currently you are just using ipod touch with the fiio e5.

so you won't feel much of the hassle.

but as you think about upgrade the amps and lod, seriously, for a guy with tight budget, thats not the way to go.

For Sleek Audio(SA), its a special case. You need to try out their universal SA6. Find out which treble tips(minus, neutral, plus, plus plus) and which bass ports(minus, neutral, plus) you prefer, then they create the ct6 based on the trebles and bass setting that you chose for your SA6. I chose SA6 out of all the universal iems out there thou.

So, my suggestion would be to try out all the universal iems, find out which sound signature you prefer, then go for this setup.

iPod Touch 3g -> Customs iem.

iPod Touch 3g, with similar or slightly better audio quality as compared to the iPhone 3gs(due to the internal phone components), sounds really great headphone out to customs.

Of course, I would pick the Sleek Audio CT6 out of the list there, as they, even thou consist of 1 BA driver only, was reported to be able to rival those 3 drivers iems(similar to the SA6).(1 BA driver, hence cheaper cost)

Since you will be using them for portable, you can use them with their wireless kit or with iphone cables(should be able to handle ipod touch too). 3 options of wires to choose from, changable at anytime of course.

The wireless Customs(free Sleek audio related artwork) set is SGD632 excluding ear impression and shipping.

But yeah, waiting for them to release their CT9 customs before i hoot.

BTW, SA doesn't use BLUETOOTH for wireless transmission. They use Kleer wireless audio.

They claim it be able to transfer CD audio quality, and many who tried wireless against wired agreed with them.

Although I can hear a subtle difference when comparing.

btw, their wireless kit helps to increase bass quantity.

Sorry for the long post, hope it will be helpful to the OP.

BTW, top up abit more and you can have the option for them to be glow in the dark :)

EDIT:

Some image for you to drool

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Whoa! Those customs look really really good!!

I will be auditioning my listed IEMs. But I think my priority is getting a custom as you said. I don't want an amp if I can because it will be bulky. As of now with the E5 also my wires tangle like mad. So it's gonna be my iPod + universals or customs.

The CT6 looks wicked and the glow in the dark is just too crazy! There's a CT9 too? Whats the diff?

Wash my earwax off? They spray water into my ears rite? Then straight away go for the impressions? Hmm... That actually makes a lot of sense.

Entering the world of IEMs is crazy as it is and now I'm entering the world of customs! :rclxub:

Thanks for your opinion! :thumbup:

Btw, can I demo some custom units too? I mean there should be "universal" molds for demo rite?

Edited by Digitalis

Sure, no problem dude, always happy to poison another guy :)

Currently they are still under progress..

SA6(released), CT6(releaed), SA1(Pre-order period), CT1, SA3,CT3,SA9, THEN CT9.

so yeah, i am going to wait since i still have not serve NS(next april !)

Hopefully when i get out of NS(2 years) CT9 would be out in the market.

Yup, for your case, iPod Touch 3rd Gen -> Customs/Universal is the best option, more feasible too.

For the cleaning of ear wax, I am also not sure lol. Leave it to the poly clinics to do their job I guess.

Haha.. stepping into the world of iems..

I am stepping into the world of DIY(amps, ipods, ic, lod) and world of External Caps soon LOL.

Dream rig:

Portable: ALAC -> 5.5gen 80gb DiyMod -> DIY Low Profile LOD(Have not decide the material yet) -> DIY 4.7uf Sonicaps(0.1uf for bypassing) -> DIY IC(Dual right angle plug) -> Headamp Pico Amp/DAC -> Sleek Audio CT9 Wireless/Wired

UltraPortable: ALAC -> iPhone 3gs(future models) -> SA CT9 Wireless/iPhone cable

More pics on SA's customs here: http://www.sleek-audio.com/image-gallery/ct6-gallery

btw, free pelican case << top up to add your initials, but not very worth it to me, can DIY your own initials there lol

IPB Image

IPB Image

Btw, can I demo some custom units too? I mean there should be "universal" molds for demo rite?

Thats why, Jaben don't stock SA6 anymore(god knows why they left out such a great iem..).

If you are coming down SG after 4th December 2009, I can meet up with you to let you try my set.

The SA6 is a good guage of the CT6. Except what you will be hearing on your CT6 will be a total upgrade in every aspect of the SA6.

The best, come down on 19th December 2009.

A few of my Jaben friends and I having an Audio Meet.

There is one guy who owns a CT6 customs.

Wonder if they can fit into your ears LOL

Thats why, Jaben don't stock SA6 anymore(god knows why they left out such a great iem..).

If you are coming down SG after 4th December 2009, I can meet up with you to let you try my set.

The SA6 is a good guage of the CT6. Except what you will be hearing on your CT6 will be a total upgrade in every aspect of the SA6.

The best, come down on 19th December 2009.

A few of my Jaben friends and I having an Audio Meet.

There is one guy who owns a CT6 customs.

Wonder if they can fit into your ears LOL

Ooo. I would love to come down on Dec 19. I would also want to audition some universals and customs when I come down but then I won't have enough $$$ by December 19. I'll see what I can do.

Does Jaben or Stereo accept Malaysian Visa or Mastercard?

Edited by Digitalis

Does Jaben or Stereo accept Malaysian Visa or Mastercard?

Erm.. I am not sure, I go and ask around, give me a moment. << Should be possible.

btw, pm-ed you a list of audio goods that will be at the audio meet already.

Alternatively, you can head down to Stereo electronics at Plaza Singapura(or the one at Woodlands) or head down to Jaben network at City Hall, Adelphi.

But, both shops do not have demo or have sales for sleek audio products unfortunately. But they do have the others for demo.