Sign in to follow this  
Question

My earbuds came into contact with water :(

I had a glass of water and somehow the left side of my earbuds went into the water...and now the sound from the left side is much softer than normal :(.

Can anything be done or i will have to wait for a long term RMA?

This has happened to me twice and unfortunately they never recovered.

Best bet is to leave them somewhere warm and dry, maybe in container of some rice to help draw out the water and see if they recover.

Best is to wait for the ear buds to dry before plugging them in. Artificial drying agent also can help such as rice, silicon gel and etc/

Try for awhile and if the problem persist and your warranty is still valid then ti gong and beg the service centre for help.

Else, buy new ones~ as it might cost more to repair the damaged set~

This has happened to me twice and unfortunately they never recovered.

Best bet is to leave them somewhere warm and dry, maybe in container of some rice to help draw out the water and see if they recover.

A container with rice eh?

Hmm will anything else work?

Actually, if the diaphragm of your buds aren't made of materials that can be spoilt by water (like cardboard, etc), you only have to wait for them to dry. The circuitry in normal earphones shouldn't get damaged by water alone, as long as you let it dry completely before applying electricity.

For desiccation, flooding with alcohol will normally work as well, but the diaphragm/glue might be completely dissolved by the alcohol.

Edited by radioactive28

I remmeber my phone slipped from my hand to a sinkfilled w/ water. I had to dry out the out side but there were drips of water from the inside. I let it dry by leaving it for three days in my dry cabinet. I'm still using the phone now. =)

Actually, if the diaphragm of your buds aren't made of materials that can be spoilt by water (like cardboard, etc), you only have to wait for them to dry. The circuitry in normal earphones shouldn't get damaged by water alone, as long as you let it dry completely before applying electricity.

For desiccation, flooding with alcohol will normally work as well, but the diaphragm/glue might be completely dissolved by the alcohol.

How do you tell what material its made of?

Also, by apply electricity, you mean play music through it right?

How do you tell what material its made of?

Also, by apply electricity, you mean play music through it right?

I have no idea, but most buds probably use polymer or metal-coated polymer.

And, yeah, play music. Water and electricity don't mix. It's counter-intuitive, but the moment your electronics meet water, dry it and leave it aside to dry more. Resist the urge to check whether it's still working, because the moment you power it up, it's more likely to die.

I previously had my PDA die on me this way (water all over the main board + power up), while another user reported it working fine after thorough drying for a few days.