Sign in to follow this  
dora-motor

An upgrade?

dora-motor: What's your budget? The udac is nothing special, average at best. For the price, it's okay. Don't buy into the hype. In that price range, i would get the styleaudio ud1 over that. Problem with the udac is the el cheapo potentiometer used inside (no surprise there), but quite a startling amount of people are getting channel imbalance at low volumes (check out headfi), so that's something you might want to take note of.

In case someone says, "but i dont have any channel imbalance", either the udac vol knob is turned way up, or u just got damn lucky with a solid potentiometer :))

Btw, portable amps that have a dac section will never beat proper stand-alone dacs

Edited by noinimod

Thanks noinimod for your inputs! my budget would very much allow me to get the price range of the uDAC...... $150, hence don't think there is any stand alone dacs which would cost 300++? also another consideration would be the footprint of the dac as i do have space constraint...... will read up more on your suggestion, btw is it being sold locally? price? can PM me = )

I must really thanks you guys here for sharing!

I think the styleaudio peridot retails for 300+ in audiotrio, bukit timah. You can check it out there. I'm not sure if they still sell it, though.

Dear all,

after days of research, consultation, I have decided and go ahead to buy the Nuforce uDAC which seem to attract me from the range of DAC i had considered e.g. Ordnance DAC 1, GoVibe DAC, styleaudio ud1, MF V-DAC (out of my budget - $3xx) Cambridge MagicDAC (out of my budget), Zero DAC, iBasso D2.

Here's my first impression of this device when added to my rig.

Hands on

Very small device, start to doubt if it would have noticeable improvement over my current rig.

Connection

When I was connecting I realise that a pair of RCA interconnect is needed to join my amp to DAC. As i'm currently using the 3.5mm to RCA ichord interconnect, so when to storeroom and dig out a pair of long forgotten CableTalk Monitor 2 interconnect. Walaaa its still working.

Do bear with me for my description, just writing what i felt and do note that the comparison is base on before and after device added and not against other brand

First audio impression (note* all rip to apple lossless file)

Play Hotel California [Live] - Hell freeze over.

Overall finds that it sound much tighter, wider soundstage, generally improvement in pace, speed n clarity, more revealing too. However, I do notice that the treble and bass seem to be alittle 'overwhelming' resulting the mid to shy away.

Next, played 假如 - 諳 (夏韶聲), 影子 -天空 xrcd, 渡口 -民歌蔡琴, Temptation -The Girl In The Other Room, Diana Krall SACD

overall music were more lively. Oh forgets to mention, the background is very quiet too when turn up the volume (w.o music)

Conclusion

Felt that it does improve my current rig given the consideration over its price n my budget....... It balance up my rig, not too warm (as tube amp were believe to be more on the warm side). Not bad for a decent upgrade. Do note that you will have to manage 2 volume control - DAC n amp unless you are connecting it via coaxial instead of USB.

Looks like the next upgrade would be the interconnect...........and the journey continues

Cheers.

Edited by dora-motor

good review, cant wait for more hours of burn in to see how it sound like. Seems like a good buy lei.

Ehh, your setting using the USB to your amp right, the volume control knob in your uDac is still using right? Do you need to crack up very high on either equipment to make it louder?

Thanks, looking forward to more hours of burn in too. I would consider it a decent buy over its price. Not the best I believe but decent enough.

For me, my amp is the furthest away from my on my desk so the volume knob is at between 11-12 o'clock and i would adjust via the dac, dun have to crack up on both.

Nice review dora-motor!

However, I do notice that the treble and bass seem to be alittle 'overwhelming' resulting the mid to shy away.

I concur with this. The uDAC is anything but neutral sounding.

Haha..its just a matter of time before you will be tempted to try out something else or 'upgrade'. Heh.

I went from Maverick D1 to my current setup uDAC + LD MK3 combo.

Now I'm itching to return to a single DAC+head-amp.

The Audio-GD Mini DAC/HP amp looks interesting but quite a hassle to ship it in.

Hmm...

Edited by Rom

Thanks Rom, true that its just a matter of time before i move on (esp with bonus ^_^ ). For me, dun think will go to the direction of single DAC/AMP set-up, as i do believe that better sound with delicated device doing their own part.......maybe the next one can consider adding power amp since LD MK3 can be used as pre amp.

Anyway, the possibilities are endless..........& the hole in my pocket continues to burn bigger, deeper =)