Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Beyerdynamic DT250 (250ohm)

Since we're not discussing specifically about music here I won't get into it & just focus on the topic in question. Our opinions on the DT250-250 also differs greatly presumably due to taste & equipment used. I haven't tried it ampless so there's an avenue to explore.

What you found ordinary I found it quite balanced for my taste happy.gif . I think what I didn't make quite clear here is that these are not the 'beat all' headphones but they are very good for my intended purpose & I found them significantly better than the 7506 & DT770(pro).

POD - satellite (RAGE for tomorrow) sounds kicking with the DT250. I had to use the Trans mode as on OTL the bass was bordering on being Muddied. On trans I can hear the extensions on the bass guitar unique to this kind of music clearly.

I have to power down now... damn power cut! Lucky my PC & modem are running off a UPS!

hehe yeah i guess we have different tastes. i was hoping for an overall can, just like my open one (hd600) but they both lack in character. you are using the 250s for tv and dvd right? not really music?

yeah the 7506 has no soundstage so rock music doesn't sound good, also the midrange on the dt770 is recessed so rock is bad, you want to hear zack (from rage) shouting and angry!!!! you want to feel rage and rebel!!!! haha

i think the mg head does muddle bass, it even does it with the 7506, but i didn't compare OTL to trans, i think i just used OTL.

No the DT770pro is specifically for TV. I can't stand listening to it with music! The only reason I put up with them is because of this application & it's impressive build quality. Think of it like the older Audis, teutonic to the point of being bland yet solid like hewn from a solid block of metal.

DT250 I use for music when the open K501/HD600 does not allow & I need to remove them often which can be a beeyach with the etys which in turn is normally used in bed for complete isolation both ways.

There is a big difference between OTL & Trans. I'm not surprised the 7506 sounds muddled on it, the low impedance is not a good match with the MG Head anyway. Even using Trans mode & tuberolling the output (center) tube with a low gain one didn't help as much as it did with the RS-1.

OK while I was in the dark just now I was able to do a quick comparo on my Sony D-EJ925 PCDP with & without amplification (portable META42). To me there is a slight but noticeable difference using the DT250, I expected so due to the high impedance which reflected in the higher volume setting when I listened to it unamped, about 3/4 way. Amped it required significantly less volume, sounds crisper sweeter, bass sounded more rounded extended & there is a noticeable gain in spaciousness & clarity to the sound. Then we had lights again... just when I was beginning to get lost in the music!

In my humble opinion, I prefer cans and speakers to exhibit none or least sonic characters on the resultant sound as I believe in tuning a system to my personal musical palate in the source-amp link. That's why neutrality is the common goal sought by speaker designers and hobbists alike.

Call me dry but I always prefer studio monitors even under the same parent company eg, Dynaudio Acoustics instead of Dynaudio audiophile speakers. Another reason is the cheaper pricing of the former. Other pro brands that have been widely received by consumers are Bryston, ATC, etc.

but that tuning with amp and source would be big dollars right? you would need a very capable speaker/headphone in the first place to actually hear the differences in the source/amp.

i'm a poor student so keep swapping headphones, but keep the same source and amp, if i have one haha

but that tuning with amp and source would be big dollars right? you would need a very capable speaker/headphone in the first place to actually hear the differences in the source/amp.

i'm a poor student so keep swapping headphones, but keep the same source and amp, if i have one haha

I concur with your findings. Better and more revealing cans/speakers will present all that are on the source and amp ie. strengths and weakness.

In most cases, having poor source/amps fronting good cans/speakers tend to result in disappointment as all the weakness upstream are exposed. Instead of switching various cans to hide these, I suggest undertaking a gradual approach in getting the gears on upstream to attain a certain level of quality.

Although U might not be able to hear the full potential with the lesser cans, it's only temporary as the final step will be to upgrade the cans and knowing that the whole system will be balanced thereafter. Moreover, it's more bearable to listen to this system at half strength than the first one with full weakness exposed. This method of system building also makes good economic sense as U're not prone to making various purchases downstream when the quality at upstream has not been achieved. Garbage in, garbage out.