Sign in to follow this  
voxel

Building a "not too noisy" PC at SLS?

The pc i plan to build will be placed 2 meters away, and mainly used for listening. So, with my headphone on, the hdd noise or cpu-fan noise will not bother me. I wil try to find a good PSU at SLS, thank u all cool.gif

ablaze, I'm not sure whether L22 is different from Lynx2-B only on the four analogue outputs, since there is a USD250 difference on price-_-

I have read some comments about lynx2 on avs forum before, however, there is no direct comparison between its analogue output and any low-price hifi cdps, such as arcam, rotel or nad. How is ur RME? (ana-out or digi-dac?)

Western digital drives are pretty good for the amount of heat Vs performance. I have a WD Caviar SE 80gig which when I got it was suposedly THE fastest IDE hard drive in the world. It is no more noisy then any other drive I have heard and it has a temp low enough to go in one of the acoustic drive enclosures. They do a new one now with serial ATA and 250gig that looks very nice.

Watercooling is pretty quiet, BUT it does make noise from both the pump and the fan on the radiatror. If you can get one that doesn't have a fan on the radiator then it is probably the quietest way to cool a CPU.

But as you say, if you have headphones on the noise doesn't really matter THAT much!

I had 3 WD800JBs at once, the whine they produced was louder than everything else in the system. it was unbearable.

good watercooling pumps are completely silent you'll be amazed. there're lots of misconceptions about watercooling..but guess this isn't the forum to go into all that..wink.gif