Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

Quietest aircon

Hehe, my house the room aircons all going to be 7 years old already. My mother wants to change them soon (which may mean in these 2 years wink.gif ). So I want to know if anyone knows which aircon is the quietest? And also the compressor must be quiet enough such that cannot be heard from inside the house.

Edited by lekguan

Are you looking for split type unit (separate fan & motor unit) or the commonly know RAC or Window type unit (single unit). For RAC this varies from brand to brand but generally 2hp & above will be fairly noisy regardless of the make. The quietest RAC units are the rotary type motors. Sanyo uses them & possibly Toshibas as well. you'll have to ask the shop specifically for this. Split Type units like the one at Rameish's 'pad' is generally very quiet in operation. If budget can be stretched to this it is the best.

Note, Split type unit has higher air handling capability (btu value) than the equivalent RAC type e.g. 2hp Split unit can handle a slightly bigger/'hotter' room than the same 2hp RAC.

Definitely split type. I don't recall many people using window aircon in Singapore anymore. But most probably it would be a multi split type (2 units to 1 compressor).

Currently using one is Sanyo. 2.3kW cooling capacity. Hm, I actually find the aircon quite noisy. Or is it just because its old. The compressor outside is worse, it sometimes produces a low hum which is quite loud. Or perhaps I should get my balcony door changed. Whatever it is, it just isn't quiet enough to listen to open cans at low volumes without hearing a little of the aircon noise. smoke.gif

I'm more like asking, which brand aircons are the quietest. And which kinds are quieter, like wall mount or ceiling mount. Also, does higher capacity mean noisier?

Edited by lekguan

Your present a/c is coming to the end of it's efficient design life. 7 years is a good period already. Yes it's noisy due to it's age. The source of noise is obviously the fan/blower & motor/compressor on the outside. Newer models will sound alot quieter but will not be completely inaudible unless it is at it's lowest fan setting. If it is possible, avoid installing the new motor/compressor on the the adjacent wall to your room i.e. let it sit on the balcony floor as this will reduce the noise caused by vibration as the floor is more rigid. It would help also if your listening area is away from the unit.

I'm using Daikin with inverter techonology which is more cost efficient in terms of power consumption. Silent and deep running compressor man! Do not be mistaken by the compressor's smaller stature for it hides a mean thrust. The split units are equally quiet. However, I believe Daikin aircon is the most expensive amongst its competitors.

Edited by Mackie

Yeah, my mother is considering daikin. We used to use daikin before we shifted, i.e. over 7 years ago. However, that time daikin just started manufacturing in Thailand, so my mother didn't want to take the risk. Now, after so many years, she heard no complains about daikin, she find it should be fine.

Edited by lekguan

Second that recommendation for Daikin. The A/C people I talked to at work recommended it as well.

Mitsubishis are also good.