Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

Newbie question: Do I need an amp for headphones?

If I'm gonna plug the headphone to a Home Theatre AV receiver, does it still need an additional amp? If my receiver can drive two floor standing speakers, it should be able to drive a headphone right?

In theory iassuming your receiver already has a headphone out you won't need an additional amp. However in general, because it's primary function is not to drive headphones therefore the sound quality that is produced will not be the best. Using a dedicated amp will improve the sound quality significantly especially if you intend to listen to music.

any idea wat cost is like to actually order a basic CMoy from Tangent?

I would like to start a DIY but just curious how much he actually charges?

If I'm gonna plug the headphone to a Home Theatre AV receiver, does it still need an additional amp? If my receiver can drive two floor standing speakers, it should be able to drive a headphone right?

Speakers are driven by the high-powered amplification stage of your AV amp but the headphone circuitry taps the low level line-in signal from the source and amplify it though the use of an op amp. More often than not, the circuitry for headphone output is rather feeble. Lower impedance cans may sound alright direct out of the socket but higher impedance ones eg >200ohms are usually compromised in sound quality.