Sign in to follow this  
Loky

Cordless Headphones

Anyone here into cordless headphones?

For the benefit of those who don't know, there are generally two types: analog and digital. Signal transmission is either by RF or IR.

IR has a short operating distance -- 30ft, direct line of sight required.

RF penetrates walls and has a wider operating distance.

However, analog transmission through RF means that the signal is like an FM signal -- dynamics have to be compressed, hf freq response limited to 15 kHz. So the senns range is out completely -- the sound is not acceptable to audiophiles.

Digital transmission is the best, and can be done via IR or RF. The only affordable RF digital headphones I can find are from a german company called Amphony.

http://headwize2.powerpill.org/temp/ces03/...2003_south1.htm

This is what I am using now.

The other type (IR digital) is available from a company called Xdream, that makes a S$300+ model.

http://www.xdreamfones.com/

Due to the high price of other brands, I have not checked out the other alternatives, but I note that many of these offer DTS or DD decoding. Price is around $800 or higher, so I won't be willing to try these anytime soon.

Any other people wanna be free from the dreaded headphone leash?

Hi

Thanks for referring me to the threads. I think my thread should be a follow up to these because in my humble opinion, the Xdreams are darn close to wired headphones in terms of sound quality. So wireless is getting close to acceptable.

The new amphony 2000 should be quite good also, if only it were available here.

Then again, someone in the previous thread mentioned that the sennheiser RS series phones were ok. I personally find even the top model (super overpriced) completely unacceptable. Even my amphony 1000 beats it flat. For the record, the S$260 amphony sounds like a $100 headphone, but its unique combination of being wireless and still reproducing full range audio anywhere in the home, makes it a winner.

That said, I believe that no headphone user should ever have to be chained to the source device on a leash! With bluetooth and high bandwidth wireless LAN becoming common and miniaturized, I hope headphone technology will take another leap upwards.

I certainly hope so too.

I certainly hope so too.

I dream of the day when all mp3 players, discman players and other portable music devices all come with bluetooth capability. The earphones/headphones will be wireless.

What a milestone it will be!

I dream of it all-in-1 in the headphones itself!