Sign in to follow this  
patt0n

enquiry if a Grado is suitable to use on my mp3

hi all,

I'm new to everything Audio but I enjoy music and usually listen to mp3 music on my Intel Pocket Concert mp3 player... I read many reviews on Grados and was particular curious to know if it is suitable for my mp3 player with a built-in 11mW amplifier powering the device... do I need a Head Amp as everyone said ?

also, izzit more suitable to use Grado SR60 instead of SR80 on portables ?

Can enlighten me why since the Specs for both are roughly the same ?

thanks a million...

Edited by patt0n

Grados are easily driven by portable players, so you do not really need a Head Amp. However, all headphones will improve with one, and the difference is supposedly greater with the SR80 compared with the SR60.

However if you are thinking of using them outdoors, then I would advise getting other headphones as the Grados do leak sound quite badly, and they offer not much isolation to speak of. I'm sure you don't want everyone to start giving you weird looks on the road tongue.gif

You might want to consider other headphones like the Sennheiser PX200 for portable outdoor use (Managed to hear it just the other day, and I quite like the sound), its slightly cheaper than the SR60, foldable, and with good isolation.

Grados are easily driven by portable players, so you do not really need a Head Amp. However, all headphones will improve with one, and the difference is supposedly greater with the SR80 compared with the SR60.

However if you are thinking of using them outdoors, then I would advise getting other headphones as the Grados do leak sound quite badly, and they offer not much isolation to speak of. I'm sure you don't want everyone to start giving you weird looks on the road tongue.gif

You might want to consider other headphones like the Sennheiser PX200 for portable outdoor use (Managed to hear it just the other day, and I quite like the sound), its slightly cheaper than the SR60, foldable, and with good isolation.

thanks very much...

btw, I wish Hung bros allow me to audit their Px200.. I would like to compare it with the Porta Pro which I heard some review says that it is the Best Portable phones

No problem, try to have a listen to see what u like best whenever possible, it'll help to justify to your wallet tongue.gif BTW, so just for the record, I'm not saying the Grados are not good. In fact I own a SR60, and I absolutely love its sound yes.gif , its just that they are not really good for outdoor use.

Cheers, and welcome.gif

when u got the SR60 kenshinz?

can i test it on my new amp wub.gif

i hav tried 2 models of the sony canal phones (red & silver) both were distorted on the amp, those cheapo multimedia headsets in my shop actually sounded better then the sony when i tried them in on the Cmoy slayer

i hav also tested on Koss sporta-pro, DT331 , HD570 , ATH-D40fs , ATH-W1000, all no problem so far think i would be able to test the new Philips HP1000 this friday

Edited by tropicalrips

any .... if you have intention getting a porta amp ... i would said better listen ... to it first cos amp can bring out all your flaws on your main player ! laugh.gifhappy.gif