Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ruach

Distortion of Capacitors

so that means it can change the way an amp will sound unsure.gif

Capacitors change the sound. That's why different caps have different types of sonic signature.

But we all love distortion anyway. All audio equipment distort the sound. It's just which type we like. hehe...

Guest Ruach
so that means it can change the way an amp will sound  unsure.gif

Capacitors change the sound. That's why different caps have different types of sonic signature.

But we all love distortion anyway. All audio equipment distort the sound. It's just which type we like. hehe...

I agree. One can change the sonic character of a cd player quite significantly by changing the type of capacitor in the DC blocking stage.

Among the moderately priced electrolytic capacitors, the Elna Silmic gives the best "distorted" sonic character.

Among the moderately priced electrolytic capacitors, the Elna Silmic gives the best "distorted" sonic character.

Oh?

But I haven't tried Silmics. So far, I find that the BG & Cerafines are quite alright. Cerfines being quite affordable. Both are as good as each other, just different sonic signature. =)

Guest Ruach

I have tried the following as DC blocking caps in my cd player: -

Elna Silmic 100uF 50V - smooth with warm mids, slightly bloated lows

Elna Cerafines 100uF 50V - dynamic and "fast" sounding with a bit too much harshness in the highs. Prefer the Silmics over the Cerafines

Rubycon Blackgates Standard 100uF 50V - tight and deep bass, more transparent in the mids but a bit too clinical for my liking

Rubycon Blackgates F 100uF 25V - slight improvements over the standard Blackgates

Rubycon Blackgates FK 220uF 25V - sounds better than the standard Blackgates but it has the same clinical signature

If I have the time, I will be trying the non-polar Blackgates N series (if I can the values that I require)

I have a friend who owns a Rotel RCD-971 which uses Blackgates F 100uF 25V in the DC blocking stage. He replaced it with Silmics with great results.

Guest Ruach

Alternatively, one can use film capacitors such as Solens (cheap, but huge) and Auricaps ($$$) in place of electrolytic ones.

Results should be much better

Alternatively, one can use film capacitors such as Solens (cheap, but huge) and Auricaps ($$$) in place of electrolytic ones.

Results should be much better

Yes. But some applications require a large e-cap. So it's better to use the better films to bypass a good e-cap.

where can i find the Elna cerafine caps?

i found elna "starget" from RS they are red in color, are they the same as the Cerafine?

i tried that shop, they say they don't carry "japanese caps"

NO elna NO blackgates no.gif