Sign in to follow this  
garc

need some advise pls

biggrin.gif I am a newbie and just bought a senn hd200 for gaming and intent to listen and watch dvds with my home theater system can the experts pls advise if I need a headphone amp and if I do what kind of amps would you recommend. Thank you

Actually I listen to 80s songs groups like New Order, Depeche Mode, U2 etc but more into watching action and sci fi movies as well as gaming, would Cmoy be a good choice? biggrin.gif

A very good choice for begginer or are you hungry for the very expensive.... lol.gif

Cmoy just basically built for portability, whereas other amp sounds better as the price scale goes up the ladder. Let's wait for the rest of the guys to come back from work and see their comment...

Hopefully they don't go out and chiong.

As it is I am quite please with this senn as I was using basic sony ear plugs and cheapo headphones for gaming and music listening it was until I stumbled to this site and bought a decent headphone and wow I didn't know a headphone would sound so good! But since the can cost me $105sgd I am looking at an amp in term of relativty to the price of the can. No point paying $200 or more for the amp with a $100 headphone right? wink.gif

Cmoy is a good choice if u don't really hav those "golden ears" for music. its cheap and easy to build, should sound quite decent too on your HD200

for home use can consider jason's PPA smile.gif

now doing the power jumpers for my new monster smile.gif its coming soon lol.gif

if u are using the cmoy for portable use, i recoment koss porta or sporta pro, with other low impedance phones like sony, u don't really need amps for them to sound good

If you don't mind using battery & the hassale of charging, a CMoy might be enough.

Or else something like headsave Minime which uses DC power. One question though, do you have a line out from the sources that you are using?

IMO, there is absolutely every reason to invest in a $200 amp if you have the cash, to use it for a $100 headphone. IMO its far from an overkill.

If the CMOY opamp is using +-2.5V, then a USB wire will power the CMOY effectively.

never thought of that smile.gif , build the Cmoy into the PC lol.gif

got to write this down as future project

Sorry guys like I said I'm a newbie so can can I simply say that an amp is just like a graphic card for the computer if you want all the eye candy get the top end fx graphic card if just basic performance a 64 meg geforce 2 will suffice? I do have line out for all my sources. Appreciate your replys.

Maybe you should PM tropical and let you have a try on those Cmoys. Cmoys are like Geforce 256 and the PPA is like ATI 9800.

Thank you guys I kind of know what I want now. For a start I will get a portable amp, battery powered with volume control in the line of Cmoy or a bit better. Any to recommend and a ball park figure I should pay. laugh.gif

One question though, do you have a line out from the sources that you are using?

my current Cmoy / Variants & monsters don't hav volume pots , so they can't be used on line out, hav to be headphone out

but i'm waiting for some new case that will hav enough room for the volume pots that i can find locally