Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

Project NACA

i'm not sure what make is the volume pot, but i can't tell it apart from the Alps, its made in the UK smile.gif look like 2 single channel pots fused together, has a plastic shaft

Augustine, it does hav a DC jack, the 9v batts are connect in series to a plug, it can be remove and run from an AC-DC convertor. but i hav not tried it yet, want to add in reverse voltage protection first happy.gif

N@Z, i hav thought of the same idea before, but that would ment some kind of charger board in the case, maybe in 1 or 2 more generations of the amp.

what i want to do next is use the on/off switch as a controller for either battery powered or wall-wart powered, as the switch has 2 positions. this way the 2 will not cross each other, charging will still be done externally for the next generation. i think 8 AA @ 2000mAh should power the amp for quite a long time before needing to recharge

the amp is currently under going the "Grado test" by someone else, i hav only listen to it for about 1hr last night so won't comment on the sound just yet innocent.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

You churn out amp variations as much as Xin!

as i mentioned b4, good time to save up and get an amp local now.

Rameish, the pot is bought from Burlington Square, the shop selling all the tube amp diy kits. It would be nice if you knew what it is. Cheers

That's the Omeg pot. from Martin Electronics. An Alps blue is only $20 so I don't see why one would not choose it over the Omeg for the build quality.

NACA gen 3

batts moved inside the amp for portable use, DC jack is still in place, control is by 3 position switch

user posted image

added output buffer op-amp, extra caps (nichicon 25v 2200uF)

user posted image

changed the phone jack to 1/4 inch, bigger led.

think i should change the led to a 2 color type, so can see if its running on batt or wall-wart

now the Creek has a fren to play with laugh.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

Grado SR60, Senn Px100/200 tested ok smile.gif 32ohms

Koss plug and other cheapo headphones at 16ohms and below hav some noise problems, but not as bad as the Cmoy, i hear the hissing when there's no music playing or during the quite parts

this amp sounds "fast" not relax/layback like the 2nd gen, i like this better smile.gif probably due to the type of music i'm listening to, can really hear the speed difference with the fast techno tracks

i need a better source smile.gif the DVD player is giving me distortion from the line out,

now using the line out of my sony discman, sounds cleaner then the Shinco DVD

Edited by tropicalrips

hey I respect your works, will contact u for another amp headphone.gifbiggrin.gif btw can it work with grado sr80?

Edited by garc

no problem , it should work very well with the Grados smile.gif

even your monster A47 , has been tested smile.gif

installed Alps blue volume pot to test the difference between the Omeg & the Alps

user posted image

can't really tell any difference except the Alps may be more balanced, could be just my ears smile.gif