Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

Maxed-out A47 variant

finally got round to using the plastic Hammond case, this time got the rite size smile.gif

user posted image

the volume pot is a 100k Omeg pot with machined aluminium knob, on/off switch, DC jack all moved to one side of the amp

user posted image

decided to try Tangents advise & build the amp around the left-over space after all the external components are in place,

the case has just enough space for the Omeg pot, can't fit in the Alps smoke.gif

user posted image

this allows me to see where everything falls into place & how much space i hav for the amp.

since it'll be a maxed-out version, it'll hav the Elna Cerafine caps (if space permits it) & AD823 op-amp

Edited by tropicalrips

finish building the board for the new amp laugh.gif

couldn't fit in the Cefrafine, so used the Stargets instead

user posted image

user posted image

it sounds about the same as the A47 variant in mint-tin.

the AD823 op-amp is more detail and also more slam smile.gif but it cost almost 8 times more then the NJM4556 tongue.gif that i use in the mint-tins

i tried both the Elna Cerafine & Starget caps, the Stargets may hav more kick compared to the Cerafine

would love to listen to em.... if it sounds anything like the one in the altoids tin, its the one i like the best. yes.gif

would love to listen to em.... if it sounds anything like the one in the altoids tin, its the one i like the best. yes.gif

there was a few Altoids at the meet rite

did u get the correct one smile.gif my is the red/white normal Altoids

i think there's a green one that belongs to lekguan & its a mint-meta

it sounds very close to the A47 variant that Kenshinz brought to the meet, i'm now testing it with Senn HD570, will try out different op-amp later to see which will sound best smile.gif

Tropicalrips - you seem to like the Omeg pot - how balanced is it at low volumes? I ask because huangyong bought an unused one from me and told me it was a little unbalanced at low volumes (I had given him a soundwell pot and it seem the soundwell is pretty balanced but unfortunately is the same size as the alps blue).

Omeg is made in UK.

the Omeg sounds ok.

regarding the balance of this pot, i find it to be a little unbalanced as well at low volumes, but thats only when i turn on the amp initially, moving the volume from 0 to higher i can hear it louder on 1 side.

but when i turn it down, then increase again that unbalanced is gone.

i hav tried 2 of these Omeg pot, both hav the same "problem"

i'm trying to get the mini Alps, that might be better