Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

newbie question about cables

Forgive me if this is a silly question...

Last night I tried something, I connected a spare set of Monster Component Video cables to Audio Outs of my DVD player and my amp. Very surprised to find that it works, always thought that video cables are only for video and audio cables for audio. It sounds smoother and better than my optical connection and better than stock RCA cables, but I was wondering if I will spoil anything by doing this.

Also compared to Klotz GY107 + Neutrik Profi RCA, will there be a significant difference if I continue using the Monster cable?

Edited by red_ryder

Any wire as long as it's conductive can transmit audio/video signals. Cables specifically meant for digital and video purposes have impedance of 75ohm and also shielded against RFI via coaxial design. Of course, these cables can be used for analogue audio signals but whether it's ideal is another issue altogether. Conversely, audio interconnects can be applied on digital audio and video outputs but not ideal.

Swop to your heart's content if U can't tell the difference.

Edited by Mackie

If its the normal thin video cable, its just OFC RCA cable. Nothing specifically made for video. Just the normal 50ohm RCA.

If its stiff, it probably is a coaxial cable (and thick). This isnt ideal as coaxial is more of a 75ohm waveguide as opposed to a cable which acutually conducts electricity. In this case its specifically made for video. Nothing will happen, just that the sound, not to expect much...