Sign in to follow this  
Nova

Recomendation for Headphone Amp

Agreed, nothing wrong with using a modest amp to power the line out from a decent PCDP. I'm using a META & am very pleased with the quality of the sound. It's nothing like a proper rig of course but it makes it alot more enjoyable (tolerable?) to listen to compared with most headphone outs. It's a nice starting point for people who can't spend huge amounts on what is after all a luxury item. In the end it's about the music... ever wonder why you tap your feet while listening to music out of a transistor radio?

In the end it's about the music... ever wonder why you tap your feet while listening to music out of a transistor radio?

Haha... I like that. Can share the cost of building one portable amp? Actually I have never seen a RA-1 before, just knew that the cost is probably out of my budget... at least for the time being.

I hoped to get something that goes easy for my pocket for now... Can anyone tell me what is Meta? Any idea where I can start with?

Tangents

A good place to read up on DIY next would be HeadWize.Try searching the threads in DIY section.

I attempted DIY after looking thru these 2 sites.

Regarding the RA-1 clone.

Alternately, you can pm Tropicalrips for amps.

He made some pretty nice amps but I'm not sure bout the synergy it will have with the sr80 u getting.

Edited by augustineRS

First thing you need to understand is that the original is (IMO) an expensive Grado RA-1 headphone amplifier. What has been referred to here is the DIY RA-1 clone which is based on the said commercial product & in almost all cases it cost alot cheaper to build than the Grado. You can see some of the clone RA-1 in the recent threads posted here.

The META42 is an acronym for the first letter of the members in Head-fi/headwize forum who created the META circuit board (Morsel, Eric343, Tangent, Apheared, can't recall the significance of the 42) for the popularly termed META headphone amplifier. You can find out more details about it here: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/ or got to http://www5.head-fi.org & http://www.headwize.com/

Hi, thanx people for all the information! Hope that I would be able to pick up one or two things in time to come. I sure would visit the sites recommended by N@Z.

Alternately, you can pm Tropicalrips for amps.

He made some pretty nice amps but I'm not sure bout the synergy it will have with the sr80 u getting.

biggrin.gif

this is also the reason for me getting the Sr80, i think the A47 should be good enough for the Sr80 when use as portable.

i didn't really like the sound of the clone when i tried it, i think i prefer the music to be a little colored with lots of kick when i'm in portable mode happy.gif i actually don't listen to music or use my amps at home. almost everything i've built was purely portable