Sign in to follow this  
garc

Please help to explain

Most think it's pricing but sound quality should be the decisive barometer. However, both aspects are equally relevant in regards to value-for-money factor.

For instance, if a mid budget $1000 cdp can pit against a well regarded $4000 cdp, the former can be considered high-end too. YMMV.

mid-fi is what pretentious audiophools think of your system. hi-fi is what YOU think of YOUR system.

In other words, they are just words and perceptions. Trust in your own ears.

Chris

Mid-fi is a term coined by reviewers of magazines for budget componets that offer almost high-fidelity reproduction but just didn't make the grade. Usually there is a co-relation between price and performance but occasionally a mid-fi priced product behaves like a high fidelity product, and a hi-fi product behaves on rarer occasions like a mid-fi product (I con't think of an example of this off hand - so you see it's really rare).

There is alot of audio snobbery around but on the other hand don't think that your better than average but mid-fi component actually sounds better than a hi-fi product. In other words - a "5 star" S$500 product will not outperform a "3-star" S$2,000 product.

BTW "3-Stars" in What Hi-Fi lang is average performance/value/compatibility for its price. For what's it worth - I stopped reading What Hi-Fi long ago and I neither advocate nor condemn that magazine.

Likewise for Stereophile and Hi-Fi Choice. The best reviewer is you and only you. If you can't hear the difference or if the difference is only a difference and not better then don't pay more.

Hope this helps LOL