Sign in to follow this  
ss433

Sony MDR-D66SL Versus Sony MDR-V6

Does anyone want to compare these two for me?

I am very familiar with the V6 having owned a few pairs. I love them.

Now I need some good phones for portable mp3 use. All I know about the D66SL is that the specifications are good, the photos look good, and the user reviews are fantastic.

I'm looking mainly for info about a comparison of sound between the D66SL and the V6, but other comments are also welcomed.

Thanks in advance guys ...

Edited by ss433

I had the chance to the D66L once and from memory compared to my 7506(also a v6) it has less isolation but it has a more 'airier' presentation due to the fact that its not completely closed and soundstaging is noticeably bigger than the 7506. The bass doesnt go as deep than the 7506 but the midrange is slightly less recessed. Cant comment on the brightness cause i dont find the 7506 bright tongue.gif

In terms of sound, I pretty much agree with Q00 here up to the brightness. To me the 7506(V6) sounds brighter at the top end while the D66SL is bright on the mid highs. 7506's bass goes lower but the D66SL has a punchier midbass.

Physically, the eggos look cooler! However the 7506 is more solidly built. Depends on your taste really. Ultimately they're both flawed SQ wise but for portable use they both serve the intended purpose very well.