tropicalrips

HD650

got to audition the Senn hd650 today at Hung Bros smile.gif

user posted image

first thing to impress me was the packaging, comes in a nice big box

user posted image

the HD650 is fitted with 1/4 inch stereo plugs, with a mini 1/4 to 1/8 inch changer included

the headband feels a little tight, but that probably due to the headphones being new, the large pads are also very comfortable like the HD600

user posted image

side view of the 650, it has a different color schem from the hd600, everything else feel similar.

user posted image

size comparision with my SR-80 smile.gif

i think it was too brief an audition for me to commend on the sound. first impression was that the headphones sounded muffered, but i think thats due to the cans being not burn-in yet.

the bass sounded heavier then what i remembered from the HD600, sound stage was solid.

this headphones will need a good amp to sound good yes.gif my buffered cmoy had insufficient gain to drive this headphone well, i had to crank up the volume knob to 12 o'clock, a gain of 8 or 9 should be good enough (buffered cmoy gain 6)

Edited by tropicalrips

Very true, the HD650 will sound very veiled, heavy and muffered out of the box, it needs about 300-500hrs before it will sound at its peak. The treble will sound very recessed as well even after 200 hrs of burn in. As time goes by the sound will thin out slightly and the treble will start to come forward after 300hrs of burn in. The only amp which brings out the best in the HD650 in my opinion is the Cary SLI80. In triode more, vocals are lush and full bodied. If you close your eyes you could reach out and touch it and feel it. The following setup ranked in terms of my preference are as follows:

Audio analogue Paganini ->Cary SLI80

Consonance 1.1->Sudgen Headmaster (modded)

Rotel 971/ X-Ray-> Micro Zotl

Consonance 1.1 / Rotel 971 ->Corda HA1

Consonance 1.1/ Rotel 971 ->Grado RA1

All the setup were auditioned using the Equinox.

The brief audition I had with the X-Ray->Zolt->HD650 it sounded slow for me. The HD600 was slightly faster & more airier/spacious. (The system combination with RS-1 blew me away!) I don't remember which replacement cables were on which headphones though. Other than that no other complaints with it. Top notch sounding cans with the usual sennheiser fit & comfort.

The brief audition I had with the X-Ray->Zolt->HD650 it sounded slow for me. The HD600 was slightly faster & more airier/spacious. (The system combination with RS-1 blew me away!) I don't remember which replacement cables were on which headphones though. Other than that no other complaints with it. Top notch sounding cans with the usual sennheiser fit & comfort.

THe HD600 was using the Oelhbach replacement cable.

I also had an audition at Hung Bros over the weekend, comparing the 600 and 650. To my untrained ears, the only difference I could detect was that the highs on the 650 sounded smoother while that on the 600 was harsh.

I also had an audition at Hung Bros over the weekend, comparing the 600 and 650. To my untrained ears, the only difference I could detect was that the highs on the 650 sounded smoother while that on the 600 was harsh.

Well depending on the amp you use or the amount of burn in, the highs of the HD600 may sound harsh. The HD600 sounded really smooth on the Sudgen and the Corda HA1 (modded). As for the HD650, the highs are smoother and to a certain extent it is slightly rolled off. A good amp is need to bring out the highs in the HD650. That is IMHO and YMMV.

Don't remember the model number but I was using the Creek at Hung Bros. The $700+ one.

Hi.

How much does a pair of Senn HD650 cost?

From the comments that I've read, it seemed that the Senn HD650 and Senn HD600 are two different beasts altogether, and not just an "upgraded" version over the latter.

So for those who have the Senn HD600, will you guys sell your phones and get the Senn HD650... Or rather, get the flagship model as well?

Cheers!

tongue.gif

Don't remember the model number but I was using the Creek at Hung Bros. The $700+ one.

I guess it should be the OBH21 or the OBH21SE. Not too sure about the sonic signature of this amp.

From what I heard I wouldn't sell off my HD600 especially since mine has the Clou Red Jaspis replacement cable. I would only be swayed if I could hear it in my own system & A/Bing them under the same conditions.

Hi.

How much does a pair of Senn HD650 cost?

From the comments that I've read, it seemed that the Senn HD650 and Senn HD600 are two different beasts altogether, and not just an "upgraded" version over the latter.

So for those who have the Senn HD600, will you guys sell your phones and get the Senn HD650... Or rather, get the flagship model as well?

Cheers!

tongue.gif

If I am not wrong the HD650 from Hung costs $550. You are right regarding the Hd600 and the HD650. Both of them are very different in nature. As I have said before if you are expecting the HD650 to be an improvment over the HD600, you will be disappointed.

BTW, I kept my HD600 even after I bought the HD650. Hope that answer your question extremecans.

ohmy.gif i thought the $550 price was for the HD600

the HD650 is suppose to retail @ over $800 according to dougles at Hung, but i think there's a special promotion price for the first 10 sets

will the upgrade cables for the HD600 fit on the 650 ?

ohmy.gif i thought the $550 price was for the HD600

the HD650 is suppose to retail @ over $800 according to dougles at Hung, but i think there's a special promotion price for the first 10 sets

will the upgrade cables for the HD600 fit on the 650 ?

$800!!!!???? the last time someone else checked the price it was about $550. I guess it is cheaper to order it from Jan Meier. My pair was bought from Jan Meier and it cost about $750 including paypal charges and shipping!

The HD600 replacement cables does fit on the HD650.

$550 for the Senn HD650!!!

That's indeed a good buy, ratio/performance purchase!!!

So is that indeed the retail price now (albeit the promotion period)?

Any advice?

Cheers!

laugh.gif

$550 for the Senn HD650!!!

That's indeed a good buy, ratio/performance purchase!!!

So is that indeed the retail price now (albeit the promotion period)?

Any advice?

Cheers!

laugh.gif

I am not too sure about the price. What advice do you want?