Sign in to follow this  
Mackie

Tweak for your Pioneer Stable Platter cdps?

I'm using the first Stable Platter cdp (PD9700) invented by Pioneer which is a decade old in my headphone setup as transport, partnering a MF X-24K dac to update the analogue stage to the latest technology.

How to identify if it is a Stable Platter? Easy, all Pioneer cdps are. happy.gif

The most obvious detail on the transport is the noticeable rubber mat with a stopper at the center of the cd tray which houses the cd upside down ie, shiny surface facing up. Essentially, the Stable Platter works like a turntable (record player to laymen) with the laser directing downwards on the cd while it spins on the tray. Conventional cdps lift and clamp the cd away from the tray while the laser directs its beam outwards.

Now the tweak. On turntables, the rubber or felt mat which LPs rest on has an impact on sound quality. Once again, a better grip on LPs avoid skid of the stylus (record needle) and this stability improves sound. The other contributor is resonance as vibration from the contact of stylus and record will be soaked up by the mat underneath.

Based on this theory, it dawned on me to use a very cheap tweak on cdps with Stable Platters. Has anyone seen the round paper with one side waxed and a hole cut in the center for protection of cds/dvds? One should have come across this when they buy the "friendly" D9s in Malaysia or pasar malam.

Place this paper on the stable platter cd tray and then load the cd on top of it and walla......sound improvement is by leaps and bounds.

What are the improvement? Here goes:

1. Imaging/soundstaging are improved by a few rungs and the sense of depth is much deeper.

2. Details especially those in the background are so much clearer. Ambience and presence of each instrument are clearer and grab my attention where they were normally overlooked.

3. Sound is fuller especially piano and vocals. Piano keys are struck with a rounder note to it ie, with bounce instead of the lame tinkering. Vocals take on a fuller body and definitely closer to the listener...most emotional I would say.

Anone who has such cdps should give it a try and I'd like to hear of your feedback. headphone.gif

Edited by Mackie

Mackie,

Try filling all empty spaces that wont come into contact with gears and such of the cd tray with BLU TAC

Also, open up the cdp and locate an elongated metal can. There should be only one of this and it is the cdp clock. Placing a blob of blutac around it covering the surrounding pcb as well would improve the focus of the sound.

Also any flimsy resonant surfaces of the cdp chassis can be dampened with once again the blue goop. Do watch out for any possible physical movement by the tray and heat from the power supply if you do place blu tac near these areas tho.

Simplest internal tweaks i can think of.

Mackie,

Try filling all empty spaces that wont come into contact with gears and such of the cd tray with BLU TAC

Also, open up the cdp and locate an elongated metal can.  There should be only one of this and it is the cdp clock.  Placing a blob of blutac around it covering the surrounding pcb as well would improve the focus of the sound.

Also any flimsy resonant surfaces of the cdp chassis can be dampened with once again the blue goop.  Do watch out for any possible physical movement by the tray and heat from the power supply if you do place blu tac near these areas tho.

Simplest internal tweaks i can think of.

Hi fishball,

Yes, I'm aware of these tweaks as well and have already done it. However, guys here may not like the idea of opening the chassis to finger the stuffs inside. Hence, I'm giving them a taste of tweaking which can be applied on the outside for improved sound.

Btw, do U think the dampening of resonance of a cdp is of any significant benefit to cans system? We know that it's so in speakers system because air vibrations/standing waves can be fed back as mechanical energy to the source and affect its optimal performance.

I'm been pondering on this issue as I only wish to discuss whatever tricks I've in mind to be applicable to those who solely listen to cans in this forum.

What's your take since U have wider DIY experience than I do? happy.gif

Edited by Mackie

Hi Mackie,

I own a PD-77 with similar stable platter. My tweak was using CD Blacklight by AudioPrism which was exposed to fluorescent light (about 30sec) first before placing it on the platter. Put the CD on top of it with the shiny side facing up.The sound you get is richer especially the bass. Also, most if not all of Pioneer CD players have fixed power cable which is very thin in size, not very friendly to current flow. I have replaced it with IEC connector and then hook it up with right choice of power cord (Ensemble Powerflux), the sonic improvement is more than obvious. More hours of happy listening. wink.gif

Hi Mackie,

I own a PD-77 with similar stable platter. My tweak was using CD Blacklight by AudioPrism which was exposed to fluorescent light (about 30sec) first before placing it on the platter. Put the CD on top of it with the shiny side facing up.The sound you get is richer especially the bass. Also, most if not all of Pioneer CD players have fixed power cable which is very thin in size, not very friendly to current flow. I have replaced it with IEC connector and then hook it up with right choice of power cord (Ensemble Powerflux), the sonic improvement is more than obvious. More hours of happy listening.?wink.gif

Hi tee,

There are lots of such cd stabilizers in the market, SID sold by JR of Soundscap is also one I've come across.

Like U, I also changed the captive cord to an IEC socket and swap aftermarket cords to my heart's content. biggrin.gif

But it just amazes me sometime how a seemingly useless item can become a good and practical tweak without spending a single cent....or few cents.

Now I wonder if sound will improve further if the paper disc is green (which seems to interact well with cd laser.....wavelength?). The current one I'm using is yellow.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie,

Nah, I know very much less than you think i do. Basically when it comes to mods I only know of 2. Upgrade components and dampening.

Upgrading parts is very straight forward. Make sure new part is the exactly the same value and rated higher. Power supply capacitors can have a slight leeway of 10%.

The minimum I would do to a player would be the Clock and dampen the chassis.

As for dampening, as i said, watch out for any loss in heat dissipation when u stick bitumen pads or blu tac into the player. Also make sure you dont hinder any mechanical movement. Just tap ur fingernail all over the player to find places to dampen.

Dampening the player would improve the sound be it speakers or cans. The cd player after all has a spinning disc inside that will cause vibrations. As listening thru cans avoid phase, resonance and room problems, you'd notice a tweak more so on cans than speakers. Someone needs to test it out and let us know smile.gif Its easy to test this, put cdp on flimsy desk, listen. Then leave it on a solid surface or if u have isolation platforms, even better.

Oh yes Opaque Green Marker for the edges of the cd. I compared two cds and the difference is there. Sorry cant explain the diff cos i dont remember.

Edited by fishball79

I know of a gadget which rids cds of residual static electricity by spinning them at neck-breaking speed. After which, the cds sound more dynamic and on a lesser degree, better clarity.

And of course there is the Exorcist (by Gryphon) to pass through a high pitch tone thru' IC to your CD player, making it sound smoother and more details thereafter. wink.gif

Guys,

Tried placing ur cd player on ball bearings? I used some 1/2" metal ones for all my equipment for a while, improvements were improved all round freq response, you notice more details, bass was tighter and sliiiiightly deeper. For me, the highs got slightly more harsher and more sibilant. This isn't surprising since I have pretty sh*tty stuff INSIDE the player and amps...

I ended up using gum drop sized ceramic cones for my cd player. That was a compromise but my stereo was never harsh nor sibilant after that.