ablaze

Etymotic ER-4B

I've always found myself to like a brighter, more detailed, more tinkly-clear sound in cans. additionally, I've found myself "immune" to the typical brightness reported by people. eg. the SR-325s, the CD3000s, the CD3000s with the X-cans, silver interconnects..I've yet to find anything ear-piercingly bright to me. (maybe my ears are screwy rolleyes.gif) SO, reading around..I read about the Etymotic ER-4Bs. yeah you got that right, not the S, not the P, the 4Bs. here's one of the very few posts about the 4Bs:

Quickie notes: Etymotic 4B In my quest to find brighter headphones, I decided to give these a try since they were stated as being specifically bright. I got to listen to them for about 3 days, and compared them to the 4S, before my right ear decided to check out.

Basically, they're not bright, not in the screechy brightness style at least. There's just a tad bit more treble than the 4S, and the midrange is much drier. The bass response is about the same.

At first I thought the 4B just sounded extremely clear, but after a longer session with them, I just noticed a sense of fatigue...and I think this is where the brightness comes in. It won't bite you at first, but it'll bite you in the long run.

In comparsion, the 4S has a warmer, more musical midrange, with slightly rolled off treble compared to the 4B. Before I would have thought the 4S were the official reference, but compared to the 4B, they're simply musical, and hardly the reference Etys IMHO.

Given all this, I would, without hesitation, pick the 4B as the ultimate reference 'phone out of everything that I've owned. We're talking drop dead accurate to the extreme. Exceptionally clean sounding, very clear. In this aspect, I agree with Dan Pumphrey, and would call these the reference Etys in the ER4 lineup, and to use as a dead drop reference against other 'phones.

I'd love to use these more, except my ears demand a break from it all. But the 4Bs are hardly known and bought much...I'm here to offer my recommendation for them if you want sheer accuracy and details. Also highly recommended if you want just a tad more treble to the 4S, the 4Bs will give you that extra last bit of treble, without overdoing it.

- Vertigo-1

sheer accuracy and details - now thats what I'm talking about! *fingers crossed* stay tuned! happy.gif

found this post by j-curve.

Say you've got the 4P and you're using the 75 ohm resistor mod to emulate the 4S. Here's how you could emulate the 4B as well:-

Instead of a single 75 ohm resistor, use a 22 ohm resistor in series with a 56 ohm resistor (total 78 ohms). Then add a 680nF capacitor across (ie: in parallel with) the 56 ohm resistor. This will boost the top end by about 5dB with a turning point at about 4kHz, bringing you pretty close to the equalisation of the 4B:-

You probably want a switch in series with the capacitor so you can A/B test the modification. A dual-pole of course, one for each channel. In fact if you are really cooking you can use a special double throw switch with three positions, one of which is centre-off, i.e. no connection. By connecting the centre pin to the join between the 56 and 22 ohm resistors, one side to the capacitor and the other side to the other end of the 56 ohm resistor you get three headphones in one:-

Position A: capacitor in circuit, "4B" equalisation

Position B (centre-off): "4S"

Position C: 56 ohm resistor shorted out. This is the 50 ohm "4X" Ety, a compromise between the 4S and 4P.

The circuit should be attached.

user posted image

hmm. looks like its safer to purchase a 4P and DIY from there, to get the 4B.

post-2-1052299023.gif

hey, any DIY-ers reading this. what kind of capacitors should I be looking for here? I'm damn confused with how many types there are wacko.gif 680nF, what voltage? argh. lost ..

think I'll simplify it and skip the 4X (50ohm total resistance) bit

help on capacitor selection!

post-2-1052304325.gif

Where will you be getting your ER4P from? Good price? Reason I'm asking is a friend of mine is looking into getting one for his iPod

I have a feeling my friend wants new. I'm happy to say I've converted another headphone user. My first convert this year. Only two so far though, the first was last year. Both new parents by the way which explains a lot happy.gif

ok, email these guys. chgvrr@cybertrails.com - contact Brenda

you can say Adrian recommended you. it should be US$234.95 + US$24 EMS shipping

for new Etys, I don't think you can get cheaper than that.

Thanks, I'll pass along the info.