Sign in to follow this  
red_ryder

Recommend books to read for investing?

Hi, looking to start seriously investing for the future, but coming from an engineering background I have no idea how to start. Went to the library and saw a tonne of books on finance and investment but too many and I don't know how to choose. Furthermore, would a book written for a US audience be relevant for Singapore? Should I just go for local investment books?

Unless U come to the part on taxation of capital gains, general regulations by Western financial regulatories should apply locally. Afterall, our system is mostly based on either or both the American and British systems.

For a start, which area are U keen to invest in? The money world is huge but yet easily accessible. Buy the relevant books on a particular vehicle once U've decided. U should borrow these from libraries instead of purchase to get oriented to the subject. Depending on how "virgin" U are, even a text book on economics could be beneficial to U at this stage.

I reckon U should read about unit trust (or mutual funds in US speak) for it's a relatively safer and more diversified investment vehicle. Some of these offered by insurance companies eg Prudential can be purchased with CPF monies and offer insurance coverage at the same time. Do note that these are long-term investment products (think years).

Edited by Mackie