Sign in to follow this  
kaiser

Recommend a headphone for listening MP3 on PC

In which case, he has to give it a try although I never favour pc as a source and as such, I couldn't adopt a strong conviction that an amp will benefit his system.  However, I personally own a Grado SR80 and it sounds better with any respectable amp driven by a good source.  Hence, it all boils down to system make-up and synergy.

During the time when I got my SR60, MBD did not have stock for the SR80. Actually wanted to do a comparison and perhaps get the SR80, with the intention of getting an amp in the future. But unfortunately, they did not have stock of the SR80, and I thus ended up with the SR60 instead. sad2.gif

But I do love my Grado! Understand that the SR80 would do better with an amped source. Is that correct?

duno why but i am not thoroughly impressed with the SR60 that i recently bought. *shrug*

Bass not deep, boomy enough. On other head/earphones, the bass can be even FELT if u just put a finger on the cans/phones...but not for the SR60.

As for clarity, most of the relatively expensive cans out there wont be that bad either I bet.

Just not impressed because the music that the SR60 produces, doesn't have a character of its own. Vocals not distinct enough, ditto for the instrumentals.

p.s : the above comments are only my own. not meant to degrade the name of Grado in any way.

I really do like my Grados very much. You right that the SR60 does not produce much bass. However, I am alright with it. Sympathise with your situation. Perhaps you could sell it off and get some other phones like the PortaPro which are much more bassy.

IMHO, boomy bass is not a characteristc of grados. I do find grado clear and bright. They arent my fave, but the sure rock when listen to rock music.

Perhaps you should look at sony line, they always have deep bass(correct me if im wrong). Another un amped yet wonderful would be the Philips HP890, till now, i still used it for some easy listen. They seemed to perform well enough for all genre of music. YMMV

IMHO, grados produce thumping bass (like a heart beat) tight and accurate, almost non-existant soundstage (seems like the singer is in front of you) and bright (some people may not like it). It's a fun headphone to have especially when listening to rock, pop etc. Directly opposite to grado is sennheisers - layback and relaxing which a lot of people will say it's boring..smile.gif

Everyone has different taste, better to audition to find out which kind of cans you prefer..

my 2 cents

Bass not deep, boomy enough. On other head/earphones, the bass can be even FELT if u just put a finger on the cans/phones...but not for the SR60.

This is where proper research would come in handy. Grado cans excel in speed, attack, resolution and transparency. Some may fault it as bright sounding but all agree it's never boomy. Hence, SR60/80 etc are ideal for rock but certainly not hip-hop or trance.

As for sonic characteristics, most if not all high end speaker makers strive to produce a neutral product that stays true to the sound of its source. I reckon it's the same for headphones. If the cans are coloured, the music presented will sound similar. I always prefer to choose the sound I like from the source and produce less variables at the amp and cans stage. However, there are those who adopt a different school of thought by choosing the reverse route. Either way, it works as long as U open the box of chocolates and know what U're gonna get.

Henceforth, if U wish to keep your Grado, think of a new source and/or amp to address the weaknesses U'd mentioned. If not, U might need to buy another cans which suits your palate better.