Sign in to follow this  
kaiser

Recommend a headphone for listening MP3 on PC

err..sorry ah..got a noob question

can the grado sr60 can be plugged into computer soundcard(creative live) the output port behind???

but for normal PC usage, the amp is not necessary right?

as in, the computer is powerful enough to drive the grados to a loud enough volume right?

but as i understand, the amp does itself have some uses on its own...e.g making the sound output clearer?

correct me where i'm wrong..

got the sr60 ...for clarity no doubt it rocks and its able to pick up loose sounds in the background. but when it comes to bass, i dont find anything quite fantastic about it. not boomy. think i'm prolly gonna get flamed for saying that.. wink.gif

anyway, in the process of burning-in ...hope to see better performance after the burn-in.

out.

Yes, the computer is more than enough to drive the Grados. You don't really need an amp actually to drive the Grados cause it is a low impedence headphone. Whether the amp will make the sound output clearer depends on the numerous factors. There are cases where users amped their portable players line out and found the output from the unamped headphone jack vs the amped line out to be not much of a difference!

Basically the amplifier will increase the gain and alter the characteristic of the music because of the different circuitry present.

As for the Grados bass, it is definitely present. But for those who prefer more bass, there are other headphones out there that will give you the thump.

I beg to differ. Low impedance cans benefit from dedicated amplification as much as high impedance cans although need for an amp is relatively less pressing for the former. The main benefit of amplification is higher gain and lower noise floor, which duly contributes to greater transparency, details and improved subtle nuances of the music. Even a humble Koss ear clip benefits from amplification. However, GIGO - garbage in, garbage out, applies. A portable's less-than-true line-out (simply tapped from headphone-out curcuit), is one of many but a major factor if the amplified signal is left wanting in terms of quality. Trace down-stream to the amp and cans if source quality is good.

In addition, signal from headphone sockets of cdps, portables, amps etc are all amplified. The question is quality of amplification.

Edited by Mackie

I tend to agree with you that the Koss KSC series will improve with amplication in this case. But in relation to the question at hand, I stand by what I said, which is that he will not benefit much from using an amp with his Grado and computer combination. Just MHO, that's all. biggrin.gif

I wont comment much on the quality of amp/unamp-ed Grados.each to his own 'ears'

The biggest problem with listen straight out from a soundcard headphone out, esp on-board soundcard, tend to have alot of electric noise(?). The reason i use an amp,with the line out jack, is more of filtering out those noise.(Initially i thought it will amplified it, but it sort of 'clean' it up)YMMV

In which case, he has to give it a try although I never favour pc as a source and as such, I couldn't adopt a strong conviction that an amp will benefit his system. However, I personally own a Grado SR80 and it sounds better with any respectable amp driven by a good source. Hence, it all boils down to system make-up and synergy.

The reason i use an amp,with the line out jack, is more of filtering out those noise.(Initially i thought it will amplified it, but it sort of 'clean' it up)YMMV

A boon of earlier mentioned improved signal-to-noise ratio ie. lower noise floor.

I wont comment much on the quality of amp/unamp-ed Grados.each to his own 'ears'

The biggest problem with listen straight out from a soundcard headphone out, esp on-board soundcard, tend to have alot of electric noise(?). The reason i use an amp,with the line out jack, is more of filtering out those noise.(Initially i thought it will amplified it, but it sort of 'clean' it up)YMMV

electric noise?

u mean static noise? I'm using the Creative Audigy soundcard..fitted into 1 of the PCI slots if i'm not wrong..so its not considered as on-board soundcard right?

anyway...i dont have the static noises...

PCI slot u wont have that issue i guess. I tried mine with an onboard, so u can figure wat kind of noise goes into my ears. I think is called static noise(man, and im doing a course in engineering... sleep.gif )

In which case, he has to give it a try although I never favour pc as a source and as such, I couldn't adopt a strong conviction that an amp will benefit his system. However, I personally own a Grado SR80 and it sounds better with any respectable amp driven by a good source. Hence, it all boils down to system make-up and synergy.

During the time when I got my SR60, MBD did not have stock for the SR80. Actually wanted to do a comparison and perhaps get the SR80, with the intention of getting an amp in the future. But unfortunately, they did not have stock of the SR80, and I thus ended up with the SR60 instead. sad2.gif

But I do love my Grado! Understand that the SR80 would do better with an amped source. Is that correct?