Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

Klotz GY107

Inspired by evil-zen who showed me this website

http://www.zenn.com.sg/zero_connector.htm

and reported that the improvement of the zero-connector was beyond his expectations, I decided to try out. But it was real late that night and upon the first failure, I just chucked the klotz cable i had remaining from the previous usage back to where it was, and went to sleep. I never thought about it until today when i shifted my micro hifi around (I use them as hifi plus PC speaker using the aux input from my sound card RCA line out) because I was having poor FM radio reception due to where the hifi was located. After sh*tfting, I discovered that the RCA which connects up my soundcard and micro hifi was too short. How? Lazy to go out, I remembered the zero-connector and took out the klotz, cut them into 2 of equal length and began. The steps are as follows (Note: this only works for Klotz GY107 because of its unique core insulation which fits exactly and somewhat securely in a RCA jack):

Ingredients:

- 2 X Klotz GY107, of equal length as far as possible

- 4 X rubber bands. Colour of your preference. Thinner (I don't mean those old ones which have lost some of their elasticity and become loose) and smaller rubber bands are easier to work with

- Stripping tools (I use just a pair of sharp scissors)

Steps taken:

1) Strip 1cm of the outer PVC jacket.

2) Twist the signal return/shield wires together and cut away the tip (about 0.3cm preferably). Now you will see the inner core which consists of a black jacket, a inner insulation, and the core itself.

3) strip about 0.8 cm of the inner black jacket. The white inner insulation can be inserted quite securely into the RCA jack, but not the black jacket. If you insert too deep, there might be no contact. So strip only about 0.8cm or less. When you are done, if you insert and discover it its not deep enough to get a contact, you can always strip slightly more.

4) cut off about 0.3cm of the inner white insulation, or enough to allow the core wires to be able to fold back (as show in picture below)

5) Do the same for the other end

6) Insert rubber band onto outer jacket (as shown). Make sure it fits (not loosely) but not too tight.

7) Insert all the way into RCA jack. Without contact from signal return, you should already be able to hear music, except there's lots of noise. Make sure that the inner wires are facing your right (as shown) for that's usually where the conductor is inside the RCA jack. Use a torch to see before inserting if unsure.

8) Push the rubber band onto the RCA jack signal return conductor (as shown, though its not in focus due to shallow DOF).

9) Enjoy!

Well if you thought Klotz GY107 was a cheap interconnect, perhaps you will have to redefine cheap. ~$10 for a 2m pair? w00t.gif Now there is no need for daiyo RCA interconnects anymore, yeah?

Sonic differences:

Try them out yourselves. I'm sure there are but I haven't tried a RCA terminated Klotz GY107 interconnect on this system before, and don't intend to. So no impressions here. but I do notice an extremely wide soundstage. Hey, even if its the same its so much cheaper! ~$10!

Edit: oops! Maybe this should belong to the DIY section. If so please do me a favour mods. Thanks a million.

post-2-1085828909.jpg

Edited by lekguan

Ah, yeah I was thinking about the oxidation part too... Perhaps if you have Caig ProGold at home can use them right after stripping?

But I guess for my application it isn't that important.

Edited by lekguan

Craig make another solution called PreservIt. This is the one to use for non gold plated (ie copper). Instead of rubber bands you should use small O rings. Use a straw (a couple of cm) and thread thru the signal wire, then "pour" epoxy into the straw. you should have a harded epoxy RCA (well sorta).

Have fun and try other cables like Mogami (a major hint).