Sign in to follow this  
peekarwe

Why are most audiophiles guys?

It all boils down to the "boys and toys" syndrome.

As boys, we need our toys, be it cars, hi-fi, computers, fishing rods...etc. We need the bright lights, the feel of the metal, the roar of the engine/speakers etc. Our toys are physical things. We never grow up.

That's why women are supposedly more mature than men. They have left their toys when they left school. They no longer have the urge to "play". Rather, they seek more intangible objects like love, companionship, friendship...etc. Though women do spend money on shoes and bags and clothes, it stems more from a practical need (though I'd hardly call thousand dollar handbags practical, but to each his/her own). Just like a woman would buy a all-in-one stereo to listen to music, simply because they are listening to the music, and not the equipment.

The scary ending to this story is that even though we men call ourselves audiophools, when we buy new equipment, the first person we usually seek for an audio opinion is our girlfriend or wife. I know everytime I upgrade a piece of gear, I know I would turn to my gf and say "do you hear a difference? do you like what you hear?" If she says "yes, it sounds amazing"

I can go back to being an audiophool.

Chris.

You're scaring me. smile.gif haha. I bet. I mean. Have you gone to a shop for 'just an audition' before, only to go back after 1 week of heavy deliberation and trying to justify by listening to your current setup and finally convincing yourself that you are missing something...

You're scaring me. smile.gif haha. I bet. I mean. Have you gone to a shop for 'just an audition' before, only to go back after 1 week of heavy deliberation and trying to justify by listening to your current setup and finally convincing yourself that you are missing something...

believe it or not?

NO. I've never done that.

I don't like going into shops, as I find most salesmen are stuckup and rude.

and I can't say no to nice ones.

so in order to prevent "upgraditis" I simply don't listen to other equipment.

anywya, I'm very content with my current setup.

Chris.

I think there are still a few of us around here, and on Head-fi. I remember a thread there recently asking about the girls as well, and quite a few replied, which is pretty encouraging to know that I ain't the only one playing with toys and not shoes and handbags. Anyway I am still too young for those I guess... wink.gif

Oh wow... that's nice to hear. smile.gif I probably started messing around with hifi stuff about your age as well. smile.gif

Shoes and handbags? Dun go there. laugh.gif