ablaze

sold: Etymotic ER-4P (including 4S/4B adapter)

ok. got a brand new pair of Ety 4Ps for sale. was thinking of selling the Sony CD3000s for these, as they're more portable and isolate more..but in the end, the Sonys won out. lol.

I paid $490 including shipping for these. they're brand new. I've used them maybe 2h max.

asking for $460 for them. for this price, I'll include a DIY-ed ety 4P-->4S or 4B adapter box. it doesn't look like much, but at least it works wink.gif (circuit was approved by Don Wilson of Etymotic Research) basically, it allows the 4P to be equalised to a 4S or 4B, whichever you prefer (and they all sound different)

hung bros sell these for $599 btw sleep.gif

decided to keep my beloved Sonys wub.gif

more info on the 4S/4B circuit here.

Say you've got the 4P and you're using the 75 ohm resistor mod to emulate the 4S. Here's how you could emulate the 4B as well:-

Instead of a single 75 ohm resistor, use a 22 ohm resistor in series with a 56 ohm resistor (total 78 ohms). Then add a 680nF capacitor across (ie: in parallel with) the 56 ohm resistor. This will boost the top end by about 5dB with a turning point at about 4kHz, bringing you pretty close to the equalisation of the 4B:-

You probably want a switch in series with the capacitor so you can A/B test the modification. A dual-pole of course, one for each channel. In fact if you are really cooking you can use a special double throw switch with three positions, one of which is centre-off, i.e. no connection. By connecting the centre pin to the join between the 56 and 22 ohm resistors, one side to the capacitor and the other side to the other end of the 56 ohm resistor you get three headphones in one:-

Position A: capacitor in circuit, "4B" equalisation

Position B (centre-off): "4S"

Position C: 56 ohm resistor shorted out. This is the 50 ohm "4X" Ety, a compromise between the 4S and 4P.

The circuit should be attached.

user posted image

hmm. looks like its safer to purchase a 4P and DIY from there, to get the 4B.