Sign in to follow this  
purplefish

Need Advice on Subwoofer

My current desktop configuration is a m-audio revolution with Swan M200 Bookshelf (custom cable mod).

I am thinking of adding a active (powered) 8" or 10" subwoofer to my system since the M200 only have a 5" driver.

My budget is around S$200. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by purplefish

SLS, 1st floor, there's a big big black active subwoofer, forgot the brand, price is 199,seems good, never tried ha ~

BTW, where did u buy your M200? how mucn was it?

i used to use tne M200 when i was in China, the best way to mod the M200 is to change the transformer, change to a 100W+ circlr shape transformer, you will here a big difference. the stock transformer is really lousy...

in the second stage of modding, you can take out the OPAMP on the AMP pcb and change the AMP IC to a better one and connect the line-in directly to the AMP IC chip to skip the Pre-AMP because it is useless... party.gif

whoa...modding...

might i be so bold as to suggest that u try looking through the echoloft forum's buy/sell forum and look for sum really nice 2nd hand deals there.

but as we have been so obviously warned, let the buyer beware.

Thanks for the advice.

I have checked out the "SLS Level One Sub" on offer, they are the Wharfedale 8" PowerCube and 10". General review on the net is not very positive.. poor bass extension and even hissing... hmm...

bzy83, where can I find more information on modding? Thanks.

Thanks Q00, I will check out the echoloft forum.

U'll find limited choices of a decent sub for $200 and unless U intend to keep the Swan bookshelve, there're some satellite+sub system too. If the Swans have to stay, I suggest U start with KEC, ground floor - Adelphi. Call/visit them for a sub at this budget. All who are into home theater systems will choose to visit them first because of good service and prices. They are also very accomodating to "newbies" - I'm not referring to U but just an additional edge over most retailers in the same building.

In the meantime, do U know what's the crossover frequency of your Swans? U'll need to adjust your new sub to the same frequency to attain a smooth transition through the frequency band. Next, U'll need to position and adjust the sub volume to the optimal level to achieve a smoother response curve. If your sub would be positioned far away from the Swans, U'll also have to consider phase adjustment to attain the highest spl (sound pressure level).

Edited by Mackie

Hi, think it's hard to find a good sub at below 200. You might want to up your budget to around 300 - 400. In this way, you could look at subs from Energy and Polk audio. Think I saw a REL Storm for 330 in Echoloft, you may want to check it out.

I would say, no way you can find good sub for SGD 200.- that will make your Swans souns better. Cheap sub will spoil the music. Forget it. If you need more bass, IMHO, two options:

1. Save money to buy a better sub.

2. Use a good 2.1 PC speaker.

Edited by bpribadi