Sign in to follow this  
Firefox

Mad Mod World September Issue

We definitely need a Meet now! I miss your notched volume knob!

Moved to the DIY forum since technically this isn't a Mod but a DIY amp built from ground up.

Hehe... Was going to post pictures of my CDP mods actually.. But the harddisk housing the pictures just crashed.

Well.. That knob cost $15. Heh... I'd rather get a craftsman make a nice and big knob out of Cocobola. hehe..

Edited by Firefox

I think you forgot something... rolleyes.gif

How does it sound ? happy.gif We would like to hear your comments headphone.gif

We'll need av98m to campare it with the previous incarnation! wink.gif

Time to unplug the v2 from the wall and put it into its carry case again! tongue.gif

But it'd be hard for me to compare the 2 because my madly modded dt-880s can only be used on the v2(it uses 2 xlr plugs for left and right channel instead of the standard 1/4" stereo plug) and I haven't been listening to any other cans. Rameish and Mr Fox will have to do the honours with their dt-931s.

I think you forgot something... rolleyes.gif

How does it sound ? happy.gif We would like to hear your comments headphone.gif

This is basically similar to the Rev. 2. There are a few minimal differences so it's not significantly different from the Rev. 2 that av98m owns.

For the amount of money and time (and 1 year IS a lot of time) that I spent on it, you'd think I'm crazy if it doesn't sound good. =)

Anyway, the amp sounds great for those interested to know. The voltage drift (DC) on the output is about 0.01mV according to my multimeter. =)

The opamps actually run quite warm. However, I'm considering popping in AD843 opamps to see which opamp I prefer before mounting heatsinks permanently on the opamps. =)

What do I have to do to convince you to re-case my V2 using 2 of those rack-mount casings? I could grovel a little.. lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

Another look.. This time beside the PD-S904 (modded) and with a pair of Grados being auditioned. The synergy is, to say the least, at least as good as an RA-1 with Grados!

user posted image

Just swapped out the OPA627's for AD843N's. The AD843N's with their higher current consumption do run hot! Nearly 60'C without heatsinking. I'm surprised they've not fried... LOL..

OTOH, I can't hear much of a difference between the AD843N (you can see it in the 4th pic. from top) and the OPA627P's. I guess my interconnects are a bottleneck now.

Are the audio internal interconnects shielded? I guess they should, since the transformer housed in the same casing wink.gif

Nice BW fotos happy.gif

Are the audio internal interconnects shielded? I guess they should, since the transformer housed in the same casing wink.gif

Nice BW fotos happy.gif

The internal wiring is not shielded. It is not necessary when you're using a decently built toroid. The magnetic field is actually quite small. All the wires in the signal path are located further away from the toroid anyway.