Sign in to follow this  
augustineRS

PDAs/Handhelds for mp3/audio playback?

Hey,

Do anyone here actually uses their handhelds as their portable audio?

I guess quality-wise isnt any gd?

I'm considering going this avenue and skip the whole idea of buying a HDD player.

Thanks

Augustine

I am currently doing so. using my IPaq 4150 as a MP3 player. The price of SD card nowadays are so cheap. Just got a 512mb SD for about $150. You can use the money for a MP3 player to buy a SD card. That will save you some money

The quality is ok. I don't expect much from a PPC. It is just a mean of music on the go without having to carry another device. A lot depends on the file format. With PPC, I can virtually use any format I want, eg MP3, WMA, ogg, lossless etc. Not restricted with a MP3 player format. Pair that with a good earphones and you are on your way. Believe me, a good ear phones or headphone play an important role.

I am sure there are people around you who owns PPC or Palm. Try it for yourself. Only you yourself can judge whether the quality is good enough for you.

Hope this helps

i am using the Palm Tungsten as my main MP3 sourse.. using Aeroplayer as the mp3 software.

to me, the quality depends on the software u use to play the mp3...even different version of teh same software sound different to me....

so its up to u to try to out yourself..to me my combo sound the exactly the same as my bros' creative Muvo...

cheers

I was using a toshiba Pocket PC E740 for listening to music before I got my first 64mb iRiver ifp350. After that, there's no returning to pocket pc sound. I would say the sound quality from my toshiba is listenable but flat and overly bright.

Hi, just like to add my experiences. I have a Tungsten T3 and a no brand MP3 USB drive, and used to have a iPAQ 1930, a Creative Judebox3 and a iPOD Photo. All sound quality are quite acceptable and very much depends on what earphone/headphone are you using with them. For the 2 PDAs, I agreed that they depends very much on the software. Personally the T3 is the worst because it just couldn't go very loud without distortion even when using Aeroplayer. The iPAQ is much better, though I still fing it a bit soft. (I'm a loud guy, listen to around volume 8 in my Sony CD player). The T3 may not be good as a MP3 player because its output is mono, think you should go for T5 if you are thinking of MP3. Sony PDAs also sound better than T3. But if you are those guys that dun go around comparing, then all players are ok.

Here is my ranking for the players I have listen before, hope this helps.

1) iPOD Photo

2) Creative JudeBox3

3) no brand MP3 USB Drive

4) iPAQ 1930

5) Tungsten T3

I use Sennheiser 565 headphones with an old Cassiopiea E125. Good dynamics, very little hiss and plays quite loud. Have tried other PDAs like Casio BE300, CasioE200, Ipaq5450, Jornada560 and TungstenT, but keep going back to the E125 for the sound quality.

GSPlayer(MP3, Ogg) & Betaplayer (MPC, DIVX) keeps the old workhorse running as a nice portable audio/video player.