Sign in to follow this  
aaa

Anywhere to by Silver wire locally?

Anyone knows of anywhere to by Silver wire locally?

5N will be best and 4N also can.

need 2-3 meter for my PPA

trail for MO of HGA 22G 4N silver wire

about S$3.54/ft shipped

any one interested pls add on to the list yourself.

aaa 10ft

bpribadi 20 ft

Edited by aaa

I know that Koba in People's Park Centre sells them and I've heard that LHS in SLT also sells silver wire. But I don't know the quality or gauge since I have not used them. Are you intending to use silver solder as well?

Shall we buy together ? Maybe can bargain a bit tongue.gif

I have been to Koba recently, If I didn't get it wrong, they only have silver coated copper wire in stock.

Heard that silver coated copper made the sound overly bright, maybe this will just right for a HD650 on PPA using OPA627?

I see, I prefer affordable pure silver if there is happy.gif

Or I think a very high purity cooper also sounds good if they have...

there have been a MASS order of 4N 25G silver wire on head-fi.com at about US$1/ft. one guy from singapore bought 100ft.

If there's another MO, maybe some of us can share to buy a few hundred fts.

If there's place to by those linear crystal OFC, I don't mind also

aaa, the young man at Koba told me it is silver and I did not enquire more. I just looked at the small sample I cut and you are probably right. On one side, I could just about see some copper coloured strands right in the middle, need a magnifying glass to see. The other end was all silver coloured, probably due to the way it was cut. This cable is quite thick and stiff and has teflon insulator. Probably used by the tube builders.

But I also wonder if buy expensive silver cable, then must use silver solder or else you still get tin/lead in the transmission line right? I feel if I can use good quality copper cable then it should be good enough compromise. I am not a keen fan of cables, even for my normal hifi, sorry.

Bram, where did you get the bare copper wire for the Black Amp?

Thanks.

aaa, a US$1 per foot and buy a few hundred feet? Wow, that's a few hundred S$... I will go wacko.gif OTOH, I don't mind buying some good copper cable as Bram said.

Hi Heady, the thick bare copper wire I use in my amp was taken from normal electrical wire. I bought it cheap from Sim Lim Tower (Sinter the lamp shop). If you need it, don't buy, just take from my stock, I have more than enough tongue.gif I won't be able to finish it anyway wink.gif

Let's keep ourself inform when we have good info regarding good wire in affordable price yes.gif

But I also wonder if buy expensive silver cable, then must use silver solder or else you still get tin/lead in the transmission line right? I feel if I can use good quality copper cable then it should be good enough compromise. I am not a keen fan of cables, even for my normal hifi, sorry.

The silver in solder is not for better conduction property as like silver wire. It is there for better bonding between the wire and solder (maybe bcos silver and copper are in the same group under the periodic table, but that's just my guess). In normal tin/lead solder, the lead also serve the same purposed. In lead free solder, silver is required for the bonding (tin cannot do the job). In Sn/Pb/Ag alloy solder, silver is just for even better bonding.

The your worry does not stand.

You guys might have checked this site:

http://www.homegrownaudio.com/diy_silverwire.html

Not so expensive, but haven't check the shipping cost.

Other sources:

http://venhaus1.com/VH_Audio_Test.html#VH18HOOKUP

Interesting reading:

http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

Edited by bpribadi

there have been a MASS order of 4N 25G silver wire on head-fi.com at about US$1/ft. one guy from singapore bought 100ft.

If there's another MO, maybe some of us can share to buy a few hundred fts.

If there's place to by those linear crystal OFC, I don't mind also

The order's actually raised to 400ft. A few other guys joined in my initial order of a 100 feet of the wire. smoke.gif

Bpribadi, US$17.50 shipping, 1-2 weeks, from HomeGrownAudio.

HGA charges a flat shipping rate for orders, and prices are determined by the service option that is selected. For international shipments, some high value orders will require that you select the FedEx Guaranteed service option.

International Global Priority Mail (7-14 days) $17.50

FedEx Global Express Courier Guaranteed (3-4 days) $49.95

lets say we mass buy 100 ft of the 22 AWG (no point buying smaller dia since price almost the same) Solid Fine Silver wire with clear Teflon coating at $1.85 per ft (for over 100ft), here are the cost,

1.85 * 100 + 17.5 = US$202.50

US$202.50 * 1.75 = S$354

that's S$3.54/ft

I don't own a credit card so it is not convinent for me to do the MO.

Maybe we do a check of what is the total demand at this price first so that we can know the possibility of a MO, start with me:

aaa 10ft

Hi aaa,

Do you think it will be easier for us to see if you edit the title of this thread, and put the list in the first post?

Or probably start a new thread for interest check? Once the interest check is closed, I can help with the ordering.

Their RCA looks very nice also, but a bit expensive sleep.gif

user posted image

user posted image

I'm in,

bpribadi 20 ft