Sign in to follow this  
Huma Dragonbane

Am I the only one?

I've tried rotel, nad and marantz and although I really like rotel's cd player I went for marantz instead. The marantz player seems to have this surround effect? The background music is more clearer or should I say distinct? Is that what people refer to when they use the term the marantz sound?

No. I believe your electrical polarity is reversed. Let's do the following. First U need a multimeter and set it to read AC voltage.

1. Remove interconnects from the cdp and plug its 2-pin power plug into the wall outlet.

2. Power up the cdp.

3. Use two fingers to hold on to the black probe contact lead and touch the red probe on RCA ground (outer rim of RCA connectors). RCA connectors are the plugs which accomodate your interconnects.

4. Record the reading on your multimeter.

5. Switch off the cdp and reverse the 2-pin power plug and turn on the set again.

6. Repeat step (3).

7. The lower reading of the 2 tells U how the power plug should be connected to the mains in correct polarity.

If U don't have a multimeter, play a cd, preferably vocals with sparse orchestration. Concentrate on the vocal while switching the power plug polarities. Correct polarity will present the voice vividly in the center and with greater body. Reversed polarity gives an out-of-phase perception (spacey/cave/hollow) with vocal and instruments dispersed across the horizontal soundstage. Please note the difference is quite subtle but it's obvious enough.

Edited by Mackie

Wow...this is new... i didnt know that reverse polarity in AC can have such a detrimental effect.

Many assume there's no harm in whichever way U insert a 2-pin (live/neutral) cable to power outlet. The aforementioned procedure actually strives to measure leakage.

In addition, 3-pin plugs from US and UK are also different. U'll notice the live and neutral terminals of an American plug is opposite to that of UK standard.

Edited by Mackie