Sign in to follow this  
dreamie

deviation in sound...

Hi all,

Rebuilt the powersupply of the AD8610 preamp few hours ago and I realised that there is a slight deviation in sound. Before I rebuilt the powersupply, there is a deep bass (seems to be nearing the lower limits of my hearing) audible, but after I changed the power supply, that deep bass has disappeared.

There was a change though. The previous power supply has 2 rectifier bridges. After which, each rail is filtered by 2 1800uF panasonic FC. (Total 4 1800uF FC on the power board). The current power supply is single rectifier bridge, has a virtual ground splitter and is filtered by only 1 1800uF panasonic FC per fail. (total 2 1800uF FC on the power board) The virtual ground is made by TLE2426 followed by BUF634. No resistors were used on the power board.

Resistors used are Holco 0.1% throughout. Capacitors are Panasonic FCs, with a 1uF stacked film capacitor across the +ve and -ve supply per channel (on signal board). 220uF panasonic FCs are present on the +ve and -ve rail of the signal board. There's no capacitors in the signal path. cool.gif

Could the 1800uF missing from each rail be responsible for this deviation?

Thanks for reading, and Cheers! biggrin.gif

dreamie, I am no expert but capacitors take time to burn it. That has been my experience so far and the symptom of the caps not working full capacity has been weak bass. Give it some time and see.

dreamie, I am no expert but capacitors take time to burn it. That has been my experience so far and the symptom of the caps not working full capacity has been weak bass. Give it some time and see.

The components in the current power supply are recycled from the previous powersupply.. yes.gif and with the previous power supply, i didnt let it burn in either and that bass stuck there!

One strange thing is happening right now! I have switched off power to the preamp and sound is still coming out, albeit at a lower level. Maybe the signal's now passing through the feedback resistor. laugh.gif