Sign in to follow this  
bpribadi

DIY mini extension cable

I bought a S$ 5.- mini jack to mini socket extension, 5 m long. Sometime I need it to listen to TV. But after a while, the jack spoilt dry.gif Well, cheapo cable, what to expect sleep.gif

So I decided to make one myself using the cheap and good PC-OFC S-VHS cable. It is S$ 2.- per meter, 5 mm in diameter. Inside the cable are two individual coaxial cables, so fully shielded.

I made it 4 meters long, with mini jack and socket, total cost less than S$ 12.-.

How it sounds? Before comparing, I was ready to hear some slight degradation of sound, considering the price of the cable, and the length.

I also have the one from Grado RS-1, extension for the 6.25 mm headphone jack, about the same length.

So I compared the sound with the Grado extension, my DIY extesion, and without extension at all.

I use The Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disc, track 15 and 17. Track 15 is Saxophone track with incredible detail of the mechanical sound of the saxophone, and also high transient of sax sound. Track 17 is impact-dynamic test. I also use some other song to test the vocal sound.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

The result: I'm a bit dissapointed with my ears, because I hardly hear the difference laugh.gif Is it my ears that became less sensitive, or the cables are so good ?

I can tell you, in general, no audible difference, with and without the extension. Both the Grado extension (I heard it is unshielded, so might be prone to RFI & EMI intereference) and my DIY extension (fully shielded) sound good. Almost no audible sound degradation at all.

So I listened more carefully, comparing the extensions, and without extension. Really hard to hear the difference, not like when I was comparing Op-Amp, the sound difference is easier to notice.

I would say, if there is audible difference, but it is subjective, the result either from my hearing or my imagination, the extension might reduce the dynamic and transparancy a little bit... so little, I almost couldn't hear the difference.

So, I'm happy with my cheap and good 4 meters DIY extension biggrin.gif

Hung Bros now has DIY cables for sale mellow.gif

done by the younger Hung, Neutrik 3.5mm right-angle jacks. i remember its $14 list, i saw him doing the cables for the past few days, not sure if he's done any mini to mini ones

I made one using Daiyo Mini to RCA (2m), I cut, took the mini jack, and put another RCAs, to make them short (50 cm) mini to RCA.