Sign in to follow this  
yongchris

I'm back

Hey all,

went for ICT. hush hush, been missing for weeks.

I just received this email from PSaudio abt a new product.

<snipped>

Sneak preview of a new product

I am not supposed to be blabbing about products before the light of day but I got so excited over this little beauty that I just had to tell you. We've designed a state of the art headphone amplifier around the new Gain Cell technology. When you turn the front panel volume control up and down you change the gain of the amp rather than attenuate the signal, as in a Control Amp, and guess what: it has a USB port on the back in addition to RCA inputs.

Engineer Jon Magnussen came up with the idea because he wanted to sit at his desk and listen to headphones (slacker) but was unwilling to listen to the crap coming out of his computer or compressed MP3 player. He just demonstrated this cool new product to me last night. We put a CD into the computer's CD drive, connected the new headphone amp up via the USB cable, put on a pair of Sennheiser's and in about 2 seconds we were listening to great sound! I was blown away.

We then took our high end SACD player, put the same CD in and listened again: yes, the player was better, but not by leaps and bounds. What this means is you can have a great high-end headphone amp, and control center, connected to either your stereo system or home/office computer. You just gotta see this thing in action and give it a listen.

We'll do our best to have it available for Christmas. Hint, hint!

I am installing one of these new headphone amps, getting a pair of Sennheiser HD600's and tuning the world out at work! Never thought I'd be able to do this. Good work Jon!

More news later on this killer little headphone amp.

See you in December!

Paul McGowan

<snipped>

later.

Chris

Usb connection? Something like the ones we saw in another thread? Quite exciting but how do they change the volume using gain? I thought that gain affects the circuit?

I reckon it means volume adjustment is done at the output stage instead of the usual pre-amp stage in order to attain full resolution. Just my definition. Those who are more in touch with latest engineering methods may provide greater insight.