Sign in to follow this  
lengcm

New Toy

I think that's a Cary SLI-80 signature not just a SLI-80. And the 6922 tubes look like Mullards CV-2492 (http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-cv2492.html) or Siemens CCa and the 6SN7 look like Miniiwatt (Philips Holland). Hey I have x-ray vision LOL.

Also what leng was saying is that the 300sei is more suited for horn speakers.

Ha ha, Leng, I very much doubt you are a retiring head-fier leh!

Almost semi retired, listening to speakers more often these days.

I think that's a Cary SLI-80 signature not just a SLI-80. And the 6922 tubes look like Mullards CV-2492 (http://www.tubedepot.com/nos-cv2492.html) or Siemens CCa and the 6SN7 look like Miniiwatt (Philips Holland). Hey I have x-ray vision LOL.

Also what leng was saying is that the 300sei is more suited for horn speakers.

Sharp eyes. Well they are the Mullards CV2492. I do have the Siemens CCa as well. The difference between the stock and the signature is that the signature version comes with oil caps and the ability to switch betwen triode (40Watts) and Ultralinear(80Watts).

Fuwen,

The 6550 and KT88 are very similar tubes and yes in this amp you can use EL34 as well because it's a manual bias and the circuit has been designed for it.

Basically you need driver tubes, preamp tubes (in an intergrated or preamp) and power tubes. Tube purists esp in the days of yore would say this type of amp (with tube rectifiers) are true tube designs whilst those use solid state rectifiers are hybrids. ie the fewer tube types it has the more of a hybrid.

Nowadays, alot of people consider solid state rectified tube amps as tbe amps ( of course the purists would disagree).

for me I dont care - if it sounds good it is good.